Student Information and Guidelines
- Open only to accounting majors
- Must have at least a 2.5 overall grade point average
- Senior standing (90 hours or more)
- Secure part-time internship position that meets with the Accounting Internship Coordinator's
approval. The University is not responsible for securing internship positions.
- Must be academically approved by the Internship Coordinator
- Internship Employer must provide a syllabus of activities for the semester
- Should be a part-time position between 15 and 25 hours per week during Fall or Spring
semesters; Summer semesters may be full-time. Student must work a minimum of 225 hours
during the semester of enrollment.
- Should be a new learning experience for the student intern (i.e., should not be a
job the student holds currently or has held previously)
The Student (Intern) agrees to:
- Complete a Candidate Data Sheet for the Coordinator's approval. This document will
also be submitted to the prospective employer.
- Work a minimum of 225 hours for three hours of college credit (minimum of 15 hours
per week for 15 weeks during Fall or Spring semesters, minimum of 22.5 hours per week
for ten weeks during the Summer semester, or the equivalent thereof). The student
also agrees to not work more than 25 hours per week in the internship while enrolled
full-time during the Fall and Spring semesters.
- Act in a professional manner, maintain confidentiality, be open to constructive criticism
through the internship, and comply with the rules, policies, and regulations of the
- Maintain a daily journal (for each day worked) of internship activities and personal
reflections (analysis of experiences) that may be reviewed by the Internship Coordinator.
- Prepare an 8 to 10 page paper (double spaced) of the internship experience, describing
the activities performed and how those activities enhanced your accounting knowledge
and skill set. The paper must tie to the daily journal and be well written.
- Supply an evaluation of the employer at the end of the internship.
Click here for Student Evaluation Form
The Accounting Department will:
- Provide the student with three hours of credit for a successfully completed (minimum
of 225 hours) internship using the pass/fail grading system of the University (P,
- Be available to the sponsoring employer should procedural problems arise during the
course of the student's internship and to assist the employer with correcting situations
that might prevent the successful completion of the internship experience.
The Employer agrees to:
- Provide the intern and the Internship Coordinator with a complete, accurate description
of the duties and responsibilities associated with the internship prior to employment.
- Supply an evaluation of the student's performance at the end of the internship.
Click here for Employer Evaluation Form.
- Inform the Internship Coordinator of the student's failure to make him/herself available
to offered experiences or failure to respect the policies of the employer.
The accounting internship course is not an accounting elective.
Mary Phillips, PhD, CPA
MTSU Box 50, BAS N409
Murfreesboro, TN 37132