Do you live off campus in a different county?
Fact: Students vote where they sleep
Fact: Students vote where they park their car at night
YOU may register to vote if:
- you are a U.S. citizen;
- you are 18 years of age, or will be, on/or before the next election;
- you are a resident of Tennessee;
- you have not been convicted of a felony or, if convicted, had voting rights restored by a court order or pardon.
Your address is a major component of the Application for Voter Registration!
I am registering in my home county, not Rutherford County:
- Online Registration - You must have a Tennessee ID for this option. You can easily obtain one at the
DMV. It does not have to be a drivers license.
- Click on the "Online Registration" button below to begin. Follow the instructions on each page. The online registration will not let you advance to the next page without fully completing the previous!
- ALWAYS check, and double check your application before you submit. The online version will let you review before submission.
- If you are choosing to register in another Tennessee county, for example, Wilson County, your "Address Where You Live" must be in Wilson County, your "Address Where You Get Your Mail" must be in Wilson County.
- Paper Registration- Available here!
- All of the instructions for online are the same for the paper registration. The paper registration does not require a Tennessee ID for registration. However, you will need either a Tennessee State or Federally issued ID to vote!
- Your return address on the mailer envelope must be your county's mailing address, and you will mail your application to your county's election commission at the proper election commission address. Put a stamp on the envelope. (The list of all county election commission addresses can be found on the website of the Tennessee Department of State, Division of Elections.)
- Click here to see which five areas on the application are the most frequently forgotten or overlooked - then double-check your application to make sure everything is filled out!
I’ve applied, but now what?
You are not registered until you receive your actual voter registration card in the mail. When it arrives, safely hold onto it! It’s official paperwork, like your driver’s license and Social Security card.
Your voter card should arrive in the mail to you within about two weeks. You need to be looking for it and proactive about following up. If in two weeks you haven’t received it, call the election commission and make inquiries.
*The first time you vote, MUST be in person!
You cannot vote without your official registration card and also without a state or federal photo identification card. Your MTSU University ID card will not provide the identification you need. You must have a driver’s license or other acceptable official photo ID (http://www.tn.gov/sos/election/photoID.htm). If you do not have one, the Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security can provide one for you.
When and where do I vote?
Your voter registration card will designate precisely your voting precinct. You may
need to check with your election commission for the exact address of the polling location
for your precinct.
When I go to the polls, what will I be expected to vote on?
Your county election commission’s website will provide a sample ballot you may examine
prior to going to the polls in the upcoming elections in which you will participate.
Spread the word. Help others register to vote. Study the candidates. Read newspapers. Compare media biases. Be informed. Be prepared. Be smart. Be a good citizen. Be an MTSU civically engaged Blue Raider!
I still have lots of questions! Who will help me?
We'll answer all your questions
and get you registered!
Email us at email@example.com
Stop by and visit us at HONR 221
Students with questions about any election process should call the Rutherford County Election Commission at 615-898-7743, or email inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Election Commission office is located at 1 Public Square South, Room 103, Murfreesboro, TN 37130.
You can also check out these helpful websites: