Military Science Alumni Chapter Middle Tennessee State University Murfreesboro, Tennessee Summer 2017
Greetings Military Science Alumni Chapter Members,
Let the summer fun begin!! I hope all of you are doing well!!
I’m BG(R) David Ogg, Military Science Alumni Chapter (MSAC) President and on behalf of the MSAC Vice-President MAJ(R) Chuck Giles, the Secretary/Treasurer Nancy Garner, we trust you are having a great summer and looking forward to the rest of 2017.
If this is your first MSAC newsletter, GREAT!! We continue to work with the MTSU Advancement Office to update our records so you know what your MSAC, the Military Science Department, the University and mostly what our great Cadets are doing.
So on with the Updates!
MSAC’s Annual Meeting
The MSAC’s Annual Membership Meeting was conducted on November 5, 2016, prior to MTSU’s Salute to Veteran’s Day activities. This seems to be a good time to meet as many attend the “Salute to Veterans” activities and the MTSU football game. We had twenty-five alumni in attendance. We haven’t had attendance that high in a long time. As President I chaired the meeting and presented/reviewed/discussed the following agenda:
- Old Business
- Dec 15: Election of New Board – Elections are every 2 years; next election Nov 5, 2017
- Meeting w/ University Advancement VP: Email Addresses & MSAC Funds
- Renaming Forrest Hall Update: Currently with TN Historical Commission
- New Business
- By-Laws Updating
- Dues vs. Operation Funds
- Current Budget ‘16
- MSAC/Foundation Funds: MSAC Capstone: ROTC Alumni Scholarship; General Officer Award
- MS Mentorship Program: Alumni can offer to be Cadet Mentors, talk with PMS
- By-Laws Updating
Annual Meeting Minutes
- By-Laws Update: The MSAC leadership has reviewed the By-Laws, developed in 1986. There are a number
of changes/updates that need to As part of the By-Laws update, MSAC Dues were discussed. The question was “Does the MSAC need dues”? After discussion the
members in attendance agreed that the MSAC Leadership would meet again to finalize
the position of dues in or out of the By-Laws. It was determined at these follow-on
meetings that the current dues system would remain in the By-Laws.
The current dues system is: Lifetime Membership (scaled by age) 40-under: $350; 41- 50: $300; 51-60: $250; 61-70: $150; 71-80: $125; 80-above: $100; OR Yearly Membership: Gold Hooah: $80; Silver Trooper: $40; Bronze Raider: $20.
Updated By-Laws for review will be posted on ROTC Alumni Link.
- MSAC Funds: The Annual Budget/Expense Report and the three funding accounts were presented. Information
on each funding account is provided below. Remember, all donations are 100% tax deductible.
- MS Alumni Capstone Fund: This is a general purpose fund used to support the priorities of the Military Science
Department. This fund is under the direction and control of the Dean of the College
of Basic and Applied Sciences with recommendations from the Military Science Department
Chair and the President of the Military Science Alumni Chapter. Form of contributions
are donations from the MSAC, friends of the university, and others who wish to support
the general needs of the Military Science Cadet Corps, Department and MTSU. As mentioned
the MSAC membership through the MSAC President has direct input into the use of these
donations. This is the first general purpose fund account that allows us to influence its use.
Also I would ask that you consider shifting your donations from the already substantial
ROTC Alumni Scholarship account to this new Capstone account. If the scholarship
mission increases then we’ll get back with you but for now we believe we’ve reached
our scholarship goal.
- ROTC Alumni Scholarship: This account is controlled by MTSU and influenced by the PMS. Your generous donations
will fund four ROTC Alumni Scholarships for the academic school year (Fall 2017 and Spring 2018).
Last year we funded two Cadets. At this time this account has over $140K in principle and interest. This amount is amazing, and more than enough to support the ROTC Department’s desire
to provide scholarships to deserving Cadets. The PMS has been asked to look at the
account’s interest amount and begin to distribute some funds in smaller amounts i.e.,
$500, to desiring cadets. This may be a windfall for some Cadets and is a credit
to our membership for their generous contributions.
- Alumni General Officer Award: These funds, controlled by MTSU and influenced by the PMS, are donated by the 14 currently living Alumni General Officers (total Alumni Generals 17). The funds are specifically directed for the purchase of an Officer/Military Dress Saber for presentation each year to the new MTSU Cadet Battalion Commander. The MSAC President will reach out to the Generals should funds be required and to new Generals as they are selected.
NOTE: Should you wish to know the funding levels of each or all accounts please contact Nancy.
Military Science Department Activities and Support
- The Blue Raider Battalion “Stand To” formation, August 18-19, This is the first formation just prior to the new school year.
- MTSU Alumni Leadership Panel, October 13th. BG(R) Les Fuller and I supported discussions with all MS
- Fall FTX, October 21-23, 2016
- Salute to Veteran’s Day support, November 5, 2016.
- Joint FTX with Tennessee Tech and Vanderbilt, March 31- Apr 2, 2017.
- The MS Department’s annual Awards Ceremony on April I presented the Alumni Chapter's awards: MSAC MS IV Peer Award, the General Officer's Officer Saber to the Cadet Battalion Commander (school year 2018-19) and four ROTC Alumni Scholarships.
- The MS Department commissioned sixteen Cadets on May 6, 2017. (There were no commissionees for Dec 2016)
MTSU ROTC Alumni Link & Information
- Hall of Fame Nomination/Selection: At this time no one has been Should this occur we will discuss as new business. See ROTC Alumni link below for Nomination form.
- ROTC Alumni Link
- When you get a chance, would you e-mail Nancy Garner at firstname.lastname@example.org and give her your branch, duty status and duty location (if still active duty). We're working on the mentorship program and our records in general. Thanks!!
- Check out the Blue Raider Battalion's Facebook page. We’re looking into a specific Facebook page for the MSAC.
- Online Gifts: Click the below link to make a gift online for the: MSAC Capstone Account (write-in
required); ROTC Alumni Scholarship; or the Alumni General Officer Award Fund (General
or mail your donations/gift check, payable to the MTSU Foundation, to:
MTSU Foundation Wood-Stegall Center PO Box 109
Murfreesboro, TN 37132
Next MSAC Annual meeting
The next MSAC Annual meeting will be November 4, 2017. Again, this year’s meeting will be in conjunction with the MTSU’s “Salute to Veterans” Day and football game.
As no times have been established for the Salute to Veteran’s Day activities or the football game I’m waiting to announce the meeting’s start time.
Again, thank you for all your support to the MSAC and the Military Science/ROTC Cadets and the cadre.
See you on the objective!!!
R. David Ogg, Jr.