Military Science Alumni Chapter Middle Tennessee State University Murfreesboro, Tennessee September 2018
Greetings Military Science Alumni Chapter Members,
I hope all of you are doing well!! As MTSU begins another school year, so does our continued support for our Army ROTC Department and the new class of Cadets.
I’m BG(R) David Ogg, Military Science Alumni Chapter (MSAC) President and on behalf of our new MSAC Vice-President Tom Hoover, and the Secretary/Treasurer Nancy Garner, we are honored to update you on your MSAC.
If this is your first MSAC newsletter, GREAT!! We continue to work with the MTSU Advancement Office to update our records (your email address) so you know what your MSAC, the Military Science Department, the University and mostly what our great Cadets are doing.
So on with the updates and some requests!
- MSAC Annual Meeting: This year's MSAC Annual meeting will be held at the MTSU ROTC Building (2nd Floor) on Friday, November 2nd at 1400 hrs (2:00 p.m.) with a short "Meet and Greet" prior to the start of the official meeting, and ending no later than 1500 (3:00 p.m.). This time will support your attendance to MTSU's annual "Salute to Veterans and Armed Forces".
- Current Times/Activities for MTSU's "Salute to Veterans and Armed Services Day" and
MT football game:
- 3:30 p.m.: Memorial Service (Tom Jackson Building)
- 4:30 p.m.: Pregame Picnic (Kennon Sports Athletics Hall of Fame front lawn)
- 4:45 p.m.: Raider Walk
- 5:30 p.m.: Dr. Joe Nunley Award Presentation (Kennon Sports Athletics HoF front lawn)
- 7:00 p.m.: MTSU vs. WKU
- MTSU ROTC Alumni Acknowledgement: With 12 - 10 minutes remaining on the 1st Quarter game clock ALL MTSU ROTC ALUMNI are requested to meet in the NW tunnel of Floyd Stadium. At the first time out after the 10 minute mark, we will walk onto the football field (stand on the nearest 20 yard line number). We'll then be announced/recognized to the audience. After, we'll be released to go back to our seats. It was very COOL last year so please plan to attend!
- HALFTIME: Veteran's Salute: All Vets walk across the football field. Alumni General Officers lead the Vets across mid-field.
- MSAC Membership Dues: I wanted to remind you to send in your membership dues to Nancy Garner, MTSU P.O. Box 52, Murfreesboro, TN 37132 or contact Nancy at firstname.lastname@example.org to make other arrangements. The current dues system is: Lifetime Membership (scaled by age) 40-under: $350; 41- 50: $300; 51-60: $250; 61-70: $150; 71-80: $125; 80-above: $100; OR Yearly Membership: Gold Hooah: $80; Silver Trooper: $40; Bronze Raider: $20.
- MSAC Hall of Fame: If you want to nominate a MSAC member, please use the Nomination form at the ROTC Alumni Link: http://www.mtsu.edu/arotc1/alumni/index.php
- New MSAC Board for 2019 Election: If you want to be nominated or nominate someone for any MSAC office, please make it known to me (email@example.com) and we'll present all names to the membership for consideration at the November 2019 annual meeting.
- MSAC Contribution/Gift Funds Update: The three ROTC/MSAC funding accounts in which we as a Chapter can impact the Cadets the most are provided below. To contribute, information is provided at the end of this section. Remember, all donations are 100% tax deductible.
-- MSAC Alumni Capstone Fund: This is a general purpose fund used to support the priorities of the Military Science Department. This fund is under the direction and control of the Dean of the College of Basic and Applied Sciences with recommendations from the Military Science Department Chair and the MSAC President. Forms of contributions are donations from the MSAC, friends of the university, and others who wish to support the general needs of the Military Science Cadet Corps, Department and MTSU. As mentioned the MSAC membership through the MSAC President has direct recommendation input into the use of these donations. Also, I would ask that you consider shifting your donations from the already substantial ROTC Alumni Scholarship account to this new Capstone account. If the scholarship mission increases then we'll get back with you but for now we believe we've reached our scholarship goal.
-- ROTC Alumni Scholarship: This account is controlled by MTSU and influenced by the PMS. Your generous donations will fund four ROTC Alumni Scholarships for the academic school year. At this time this account has over $136K in principle and interest. This amount is amazing and more than enough to support the ROTC Department's desire to provide scholarships to deserving Cadets. The PMS has been asked to look at the account's interest amount and begin to distribute some funds in smaller amounts (i.e., $500) to desiring Cadets. This may be a windfall for some Cadets and is a credit to our membership for their generous contributions.
-- Alumni General Officer Award: These funds, controlled by MTSU and influenced by the PMS, are donated by the 13 currently living Alumni General Officers (total Alumni Generals 16). The funds are specifically directed for the purchase of an Officer/Military Dress Saber for presentation each year to the new MTSU Cadet Battalion Commander. The MSAC President will reach out to the Generals should funds be required and to new Generals as they are selected.
- Online Gifts: Use the below link to make a gift online for the: MSAC Capstone Account; ROTC Alumni
Scholarship; or the Alumni General Officer Award Fund (General Officers only): https://securelb.imodules.com/s/1092/development/index.aspx?sid+1092&gid=1&pgid=978&cid=2264
-- Mail your donations/gift check, payable to the MTSU Foundation, to:
MTSU Foundation, Wood-Stegall Center, PO Box 109, Murfreesboro, TN 37132
Military Science Events Update:
- Our ROTC Department has a new Professor of Military Science, LTC Carrick E. McCarthy. A native of Nashville, Tennessee, LTC Carrick McCarthy attended the United States Military Academy at West Point where he earned a Bachelor of Science degree in American Politics. LTC McCarthy was commissioned into the Army on 1 June 2002 as a Military Police (MP) Officer. He has seen duty with the 82nd Airborne Division, 716th MP at Fort Campbell and the 525th MP Detention Battalion Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. His duties ranged from MP platoon leader, executive officer, company commander to provost marshal operation officer, and battalion executive officer. LTC McCarthy was also deployed for two tours to Iraq and one tour to Afghanistan. His most recent assignment was as the Assistant Professor of Military Science, The University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL. LTC McCarthy is married to the former Kati Szeliga, a graduate of Middle Tennessee State University, and they have three chiildren: Cavan (6), Emory (4), and Caleb (2). Stop by the ROTC Department and welcome LTC McCarthy to our ROTC family.
Events of Interest:
- The Fall FTX is October 26-28, 2018.
- The Fall 2018 Commissioning Ceremony is December 21, 2018.
- Spring Joint FTX with Tennessee Tech and Vanderbilt is March 29-31, 2019.
- The MS Department's Annual Spring Awards Ceremony is April 16, 2019. (As MSAC President, I will present the Alumni Chapter's awards: MSAC MS IV Peer Award, the General Officer's Saber to the new Cadet Battalion Commander (school year 2019-20) and ROTC Alumni Scholarships.)
- The Spring 2019 Commissioning Ceremony is May 10, 2019.
MTSU ROTC Alumni Link & Information
- Hall of Fame Nomination/Selection: See ROTC Alumni link below for Nomination form. ROTC Alumni Link: http://www.mtsu.edu/arotc1/alumni/index.php
- Keep your Email Up-to-Date: Any changes or updates let Nancy Garner know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
-- Also, if you are on active duty, email Nancy and give her your branch, duty status and duty location. We're working on the mentorship program and our records in general. Thanks!!
-- Check out the Blue Raider Battalion's Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/blue.battalion. We’re working with the MS Department to add an MSAC Facebook section.
Again, thank you for all your support to the MSAC and the Military Science/ROTC Cadets and the cadre.
See you on the objective!!!
R. David Ogg, Jr.
Thomas F. Hoover, Jr.