The newly-renovated stadium played host to its first game Saturday, Sept. 5, 1998 when the Blue Raiders hosted rival Tennessee State. The 31,000-seat stadium was filled with an Ohio Valley Conference record 27,568 fans, who witnessed a thrilling 28-27 victory in the closing seconds of the game.
The stadium is a state-of-the-art facility from the prospective of fans, players and staff. The spacious press box features 16 luxury-box suites. There are also 12 open-air boxes as well. The new renovation now bowls in the entire playing surface with seats, including an upper deck on the north and east sides of the stadium.
Self-contained ticket offices, for easy access by fans attending a game, can be found in all four corners of the stadium. A technologically advanced athletic academic enhancement center, for all Blue Raiders and Lady Raiders athletes, is located in the southwest corner of the stadium. Aside from counselors and tutors, the facility also houses a multitude of computers for use by all athletes. Each and every computer is linked to the World Wide Web, giving MTSU athletes virtual access to the world.
Also located inside the north end of the stadium is a new weight training facility, which is used by all Blue Raiders athletes. The weight training area rivals that of any school in the south, even including schools in the Southeast Conference. Along side of the weight room is a fully functional, top quality training room complete with whirl pools. The stadium houses two game day locker rooms, one at each end of the stadium. The Blue Raiders locker room is adjacent to the weight room on the north end of the stadium, while the visitors are located at the southeast corner. The Blue Raiders game day locker room has also played host to several events, including a reception for past football players who honored retired head coach Boots Donnelly and the 1999 signing day press conference.
In the summer of 1999 the stadium will receive yet another face lift of sorts when the astro-turf is replaced. The new surface will feature the new athletic logo and mascot in the center of the field and the Blue Raiders horse design in each end zone. Adjacent to the northeast corner of the stadium is the Blue Raiders football practice field area, which is two complete 100-yard fields.
The stadium was originally constructed in 1933, first enlarged in 1950 and again in 1968, when the stadium had a capacity of 15,000. Upon its construction, it was named Jones Field in honor of Horace Jones, the head of the math department. Jones had been interested in the Blue Raiders athletic department and was a one-man athletic committee for years until the faculty athletic committee was formed. In the 1960's, it was renamed Horace Jones Field in order to clarify, which Jones the school was honoring. Though the playing area still remains Jones Field to this day, the stadium itself became Johnny "Red" Floyd Stadium on Nov. 3, 1979 when they named it after the former head coach.