Frequently Asked Questions
1. What's the difference between internal auditing and other auditing?
External audits are conducted by auditors that are not employees of the organization and are usually focused on verifying amounts on financial statements. Internal audits, performed by the organization's own employees, focus on determining that the organization has policies and procedures that will assist in achieving the institution's goals and objectives.
2. How do you decide what to audit?
There are some audits required by state law and/or TBR policy which we must perform on a periodic basis. Any shortages, thefts or missing equipment may also require an internal audit review, as may reports of fraud. In addition, at the beginning of each fiscal year, we prepare an Audit Plan which outlines the number of working hours available and the anticipated hours required for each audit.
3. What if I am contacted about an audit, program review, or other evaluation of my department by someone other than MTSU's Audit & Consulting Services Department?
Call or e-mail to tell us about any contact you've had with an external party regarding any type of audit. TBR Guideline B-050 requires that Audit and Consulting Services coordinate work with external auditors, program reviewers, and consultants.
4. What can I do to make things easier for me when my department is involved in an audit?
- Know which policies apply to you and refer to them when making decisions.
- Separate duties of your employees so that they cross-check each other.
- Make sure all your records are accurate and reconcile your accounts timely.
- Write a short note to explain transactions and decisions so that you don't have to rely on your memory when an auditor asks "why did you do this?"
- Do your best to do the right thing and don't worry about trying to be perfect. We won't condemn you for being human.
5. What if I think someone's doing something wrong?
Call or e-mail us.
Audit and Consulting Services
1301 East Main Street
Murfreesboro, TN 37132-0001
Office: (615) 898-2914
Fax: (615) 904-8046