Jennings A. Jones College Of Business
Integrating Technology in Teaching & Research
University Computer Lab is open 24/7
Student Centered Learning Environment
Computer Lab Demo Rooms
Master Classrooms equipped with State of the art Technologies
How to access shared network resources
(from faculty and lab computers)?
These instructions apply for all College of Business faculty, staff, lab and master
classroom computers only.
To access network resources, you first must " login to the network" properly. A user is "logged" to the network once he/she provides a valid ID and password. For example, assuming
you start from scratch:
- Boot the computer.
- The Login to Network or Windows Login screen may appear, a valid user id and password must be provided, then click OK.
- This should properly connect you to the network.
By default all lab and master classroom computers automatically logon to the network.
Accessing files through the network
You can access files located on the S: drive or in any Windows 95/98/2000/XP computer
with shared folders.
- The S: drive will appear as a local drive in your computer.
- Just double-click on the S: drive and double-click on the file you want to open.
- You could also open your application, select File | Open and select the S: drive from
the list of drives.
- To access files from any computer using the Network Neighborhood icon:
- Select Network Neighborhood.
- Select Entire Network: this will show a list of all workgroup names on the network
- Click on the Workgroup to be accessed.
- Click on the name of the computer, you may be required to enter a password.
If the S: drive is not listed among drive options or you do not see the workgroup
you need when you click on Entire Network, then follow these steps:
- Close all programs
- Click on Start and select Shutdown, then choose the Close all programs and log on as a different user option .
- If using Windows 98, select Start , Logoff .
- When the login screen appears:
- if you are at a master classroom computer:
- make sure user id is the classroom and _tea, for example: S272-tea or S102-tea.
- if you are at your office computer you must enter your user id and password.
- Click OK ( Cancel will not allow access to the network)
If after logging in correctly, you still do not see the workgroup names you need,
you can still access a computer, if you know the name of the computer. Follow these
- Click on Start , select Find , select Computer .
- Enter the computer name at the prompt and click on the Find Now button.
- If the network is working properly and the computer name is correct, you will see
the computer name appear in the list.
- Click on the computer name to access the computer.
**** If these troubleshooting steps do not solve your problems, call Carlos Coronel at ext. 2359. ****