2014 Chinese Lingual-Cultural Summer Camp for American Senior High School Students
To enhance mutual understanding between American and Chinese youth, to assist American senior high school students to gain better understanding of Chinese language and culture, promoting their interests in learning the Chinese language, the Confucius Institute at MTSU invites 19 American high school students to attend the 2014 Chinese Lingual-Cultural Summer Camp (2014 CLCSC) hosted in Hangzhou, China.
Hosts and Co-Hosts
- Office of International Affairs at Hangzhou Normal University
- Confucius Institute at Middle Tennessee State University
- Chinese Language Council International (Hanban)
- College of Foreign Language at Hangzhou Normal University
- College of International Education at Hangzhou Normal University
Beijing – Hangzhou – Shanghai
CLCSC will fly to Beijing, and stay in Beijing for 3 nights. Then fly to Hangzhou, and stay in Hangzhou for 10 days. At last, take a shuttle to Shanghai, and stay in Shanghai for 1 day before flying back to the States the next day.
July 7 Depart from the U. S.
July 8 Arrive in Beijing
July 9 to July 11 Sightseeing in Beijing
July 11 Arrive in Hangzhou
July 12 to 20 Summer Camp and Sightseeing in Hangzhou
July 21 Arrive in Shanghai in the morning
July 22 Leave from Shanghai
- Adaptive training Course in Hangzhou (2 class hours)
- Chinese Language Courses
- Class arrangements are based on students' language levels;
- The maximum class size is 15 people.
- Chinese Cultural Courses
- A variety of cultural courses, including calligraphy, painting, Martial arts and cultural lectures, etc.
- Students may choose the courses which most interest them.
- Sports and Peer Communications
- Various sports events and cultural experience, including visiting local senior high schools, communicating with Chinese high school students, experiencing Chinese students' daily life
- Cultural visit
- 3-day cultural visit in Beijing
- 3-day cultural visit in Hangzhou
- 1-day cultural visit in Shanghai
- Evaluation Test
- At the end of the camp activities, students will take a test to exam what they have learned throughout this summer camp.
- Certificates for completion of the program and language levels will be awarded in accordance with test takers' performance.
Logistics and Management
- Bilingual coordinators will be assigned throughout the whole program.
- Accommodation at International student dormitories with double occupancy for students, and single occupancy for the coordinators.
- Each dorm has a landline phone, an air conditioner, a bathroom (8 hours hot water for shower), and internet access (cable needed). Dormitories have public laundry rooms.
- Outdoors or indoors sports facilities available, such as swimming pool, basketball courts, football fields, etc.
- Dining facilities available (three meals a day)
- Air conditioned vehicles for outing activities
- First‐aid service, health care clinics on campus and accessible hospitals
- The estimated cost of this trip is $2200/person, which covers international airfares, visa fee, pre‐departure orientation, and processing fee.
- The Confucius Institute will assist booking tickets and pre‐departure orientation.
- Hanban will pay all In-China expenses.
Procedures for Application
Students --submit the following materials for application:
- Application Form, click here
- School transcript
- Teacher's recommendation letter (for students)
- Application Fee of $150 (refundable if not accepted )
Chaperons -- submit the following materials for application:
- Application Form, click here
- Endorsement letter from school principal
All application materials need to be submitted to CIMTSU by April 11, 2014
For more information, please contact:
P.O. Box 114, Peck Hall 106
Middle Tennessee State University
Murfreesboro, TN 37132