Special Education Institute
What is the Special Education Institute?
The Special Education Institute at MTSU is a grant-funded program sponsored by the
Tennessee Department of Education Division of Special Education and Middle Tennessee
State University. The program offers grants to teachers working toward licensure
to education children with disabilities. The purpose of this program is to help those
teachers meet licensure requirements in the area of Special Education.
The Special Education Institute pays for tuition, fees, and books for persons seeking
an initial license or an add-on endorsement in Special Education.
Who is eligible for the Special Education Institute?
Any person teaching Special Education on. . .
- . . . a waiver (generally awarded to persons who hold valid Tennessee teaching licenses but are
teaching Special Education outside of their fields); OR
- . . . a permit (generally awarded to persons who do not hold valid Tennessee teaching licenses and
are employed full-time as teachers); OR
- . . . a transitional license (for an information sheet on transitional licenses at MTSU, click here).
How do I apply to the Special Education Institute?
- The first step is to be hired to teach Special Education. Once you have been hired,
you will need to complete the Verification of Employment form (available here) and the Service Agreement (available here) and submit both to Dr. Calder.
- Apply for admission to MTSU's College of Graduate Studies in the Special Education Licensure Track (SELT).
- If you have a teaching license: Have transcripts analysed by the Teacher Licensure Office for an Add-On Plan of Study in Special Education (contact Flora McCullough for more
information. Email: email@example.com or Phone: 615-904-8001) (for the Transcript Analysis Request form, click here).
- If you do NOT have a teaching license: Have transcripts analysed for a Transitional License Program of Study in Special
Education (contact Allyson Clemans for more information. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Phone: 615-494-8601) (for the Transitional License Analysis Request form, click
- Contact the Special Education Institute Director at MTSU, Dr. James Calder (Email:
email@example.com or Phone: 615-898-5932), for information and course recommendations.
Special Education Institute Application Deadlines
continuous admissions - apply at any time
Teacher Education Application Deadlines
October 4 and December 4 for the following Spring semester
March 4 and May 4 for the following Summer terms
August 4 for the following Fall semester
Graduate School Application Deadlines
June 1 for the following Fall semester
March 1 for the following Summer term
October 1 for the following Spring semester
For more information on the Special Education Institute at MTSU, please contact:
Dr. James Calder
Special Education Institute, Director
1301 East Main Street
PO Box 69
Murfreesboro, TN 37132