Member, Graduate Faculty
Professor of English; Ph.D. (1996), Georgia State University; MA (1982), University
of Mississippi; BA (1979), Southeastern Louisiana University; First Year at MTSU:
Office: PH 365; Phone/Voice Mail: 898-2074
Dr. Cain teaches courses in composition, war and literature, European literature,
and Victorian literature.
- "Pietas in Green: the Iconic Representation of Combat Medics in the Films of Kubrick,
Spielberg, and Malick," 26th Annual Conference on Film and Literature, Tallahassee,
- 10/5/00, "Terrence Malick's The Thin Red Line and James Jones's Theory of the Evolution of a Soldier," Popular Culture Association
in the South, Nashville, TN.
- 6/1/00,"`Writing in his musical key': Terrence Malick's Vision of James Jones's The Thin Red Line," World War II after 60 Years, 15th Annual Multidisciplinary Conference on World
War II, Siena College, Loudonville, NY.
- 1/27/00, "Where Novels Conjoin," 25th Annual Conference on Literature and Film, Tallahassee,
- 1/29/99, "The Influence of the Crimean War on Bram Stoker's novel Dracula," 24th Annual Conference on Film and Literature, Tallahassee, FL.
- 1/31/00, "Racism and the Vampire: the Anti-Slavic Premise of Bram Stoker's Dracula," 23rd Annual Conference on Film and Literature, Tallahassee, FL.
- 5/11/98, " The Lady of the Shroud: Projecting Britain's Balkan Desires," 68th Annual South Atlantic Modern Language
Association Convention, Atlanta, GA.
- 15/11/97, "With the Unspeakables: Tourism, Racism, and Imperialism in Bram Stoker's
Dracula," Snapshots from Abroad: A Conference on American and British Travel Writers and
Writing, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN.
- 8/16/97, " Dracula and Russophobia," Dracula 97: A Centennial Celebration of the publication of Bram
Stoker's novel, Los Angeles, CA.
- 3/21/97, " Comus: the Measure of Plato's Ideal of Love," 1997 South Central Renaissance Conference,
- 3/22/96, "Woman as Redeemer in Paradise Lost, Samson Agonistes, and Paradise Regained," 1996 Regional Central and South Central Renaissance Conferences, St. Louis, MO.
- 10/11/96, "No Place for Literature in Freshman Composition," 66th Annual South Atlantic
Modern Language Association Convention, Savannah, GA.