Dr. Peter McCluskey
Office: PH 336; Phone/Voice Mail: 898-2678
Dr. McCluskey earned the Ph.D. at the University of Arkansas. A specialist in Shakespeare,
he joined the English Department in the Fall of 1999.
"Englishmen For My Money and the Sublimation of Anti-Immigrant Satire," Renaissance
Society of America, Miami, FL, 22-24 March 2007.
"'Ipse Dixit': Literary Allusion in Heinlein's Juveniles," Popular Culture Association,
Boston, MA, 4-7 April 2007.
- "'The Game's Afoot": Heinlein and Holmes," Popular Culture Association (PCA), Atlanta
, GA , 12-15 2006.
- "'The Great Globe Itself': Shakespearean Allusion in Heinlein's Fiction," Popular
Culture Association, San Diego , CA , 23-26 March 2005.
- "It was a Flemynge hyght Hansy": Skelton's Magnyfycence and Henrican
Anti-Flemish Satire," South Atlantic Modern Language Association (SAMLA), Roanoke,
VA, 12-14 November 2004.
- "Have Monomyth, Will Travel: The Hero's Journey in Heinlein's Juvenile Novels," Popular
Culture Association, San Antonio, TX, 7-10 April 2004.
- "'This Kind of Thing': 'Literary Chitchat' in Ruth Rendell's Chief Inspector Wexford
Novels," Popular Culture Association in the South (PCAS), Charlotte, NC, 3-5 October
- "God and Commerce in A Confederacy of Dunces ," Tennessee Philological Association
(TPA), Murfreesboro, TN, 21-23 February 2002.
- "Making Sense of An Enterlude of Welth and Helth : or How I Stopped Worrying and Learned
to Love Textual Criticism," SAMLA, Atlanta, GA, 9-11 November 2001.
- "My Name is Comus, and I'm an Alcoholic," Conference on John Milton, Murfreesboro,
TN, 19-20 October 2001.
- "'These Swilling Epicures Shall Taste of Death': Anti-Flemish Satire in A Larum for
London ," Renaissance Society of America, Chicago, IL, 29-31 March 2001.
- "(Sir) Thomas (More) the Tank Engine? Sodor as Industrial Utopia," Society for Utopian
Studies, Vancouver, Canada, 29-21 October 2000.
- "The Hero With a Thousand Bowties: Pee-Wee's Big Monomyth," PCAS, Nashville, TN, 5-7
- "'Devoured by Aliens!': Flemish Appetites and English Anxieties," Medieval-Renaissance
Conference XIV, Wise, VA, 21-23 September 2000.
- "'Shall I Betray My Brother?' Anti-Alien Satire and its Subversion in The Shoemaker's
Holiday," TPA, Cookeville, TN, 24-26 February.
- "'Bastards of Dung': Flemish Excrement and the English Imagination," SAMLA, Atlanta,
GA, 4-6 November 1999.
- "The Toad at Eve's Ear," Conference on John Milton, Murfreesboro, TN, 21-23 October
- "Thomas Deloney, the 'Complaint of the Yeomen Weavers Against Immigrant Weavers,'
and the Riots of 1595," South Central Renaissance Conference (SCRC), Savannah, GA,
8-10 April 1999.
- "'Might Could' and 'Might Ought To': The Double Modal in Arkansas--An Informal Introduction,"
Arkansas Philological Association (APA), Fayetteville, AR, 11-12 October 1996.
- "'The Perversion of Having to GO TO WORK': Anti-capitalism in A Confederacy of Dunces
," College English Association (CEA), New Orleans, LA, 3-6 April 1996.
- "Optical Image Clusters in the Major Poems of Sir John Davies," SCRC, Oklahoma City,
OK, 6-8 April 1995.
- "'Humors to Delight': Menaphon as Burlesque ," APA, Hot Springs, AR, 4-5 November
- "'Too Many Aliens in this Realm': Wealth and Health a nd the Closing of the Stranger
Churches in Marian London," APA, Arkadelphia, AR, 12-13 November 1993.
- "Milton and the Winds of Folly," Southeastern Conference on John Milton, Murfreesboro,
TN, 21-23 October 1993.
- "The Allegory of Lust: 'Bytuene Mersh & Aueril' and Autoeroticism," Rocky Mountain
Medieval and Renaissance Association Conference (RMMRAC), Flagstaff, AZ, 8-11 April
- " Bartholmew Fair and the Feast of Fools," SCRC, San Antonio, TX, 25-27 March 1993.
- "'Turnip-Eating Rogues': Anti-Dutch Sentiment in Renaissance Drama," APA, Eureka Springs,
AR, 6-7 November 1992.
- "Passive Voices / Active Voices: Sexual Politics and the Changing of the Archetype
of the Heroine in the Disney Feature-length Animated Films," written with Sally McCluskey,
Popular Culture Association in the South Conference, Augusta, GA, 1-3 October 1992.
- "Honest Fools and Honorable Murderers: the Subversion of Language in Othello ," RMMRAC,
Las Cruces, NM, 9-11 April 1992 and SCRC, Monroe, LA, 2-4 April 1992.
- "'The Recovery of the Sacred Candlestick': Jewish Imagery and the Problem of Allegory
in The Marble Faun ," APA, Mountain View, AR, 22-23 November 1991.
- "'Nature Taught Art': the Topos of Art and Nature in Paradise Regained ," Southeastern
Conference on John Milton, Murfreesboro, TN, 24-26 October 1991.