The International Boethius Society is a non-profit organization promoting scholarship on all aspects of the work, influence, and age of Boethius.
The Society publishes an annual, peer-reviewed, interdisciplinary journal, Carmina Philosophiae, which is edited by Noel Harold Kaylor, Jr. (Troy University) and Kenneth C. Hawley (Lubbock Christian University). It was produced at Middle Tennessee State University from 1999-2014 under the editorship of Noel Harold Kaylor, Jr. (Troy University) and Philip Edward Phillips (Middle Tennessee State University) with the generous support of the MTSU Department of English and MTSU Honors College.
Officers of the International Boethius Society include: Paul E. Szarmach (Western Michigan University, emeritus), President; Noel Harold Kaylor, Jr. (Troy), Executive Director; Philip Edward Phillips (MTSU), Secretary; and Kenneth C. Hawley (Lubbock Christian University), Editor of the online IBS Newsletter. Trustees of the Society include Paul Barrette (University of Tennessee, Knoxville), Glynnis Cropp (Massey University, New Zealand), John Magee (University of Toronto), and Fabio Troncarelli (University of Tuscany, Viterbo, Italy).
For more information about the International Boethius Society, its interdisciplinary journal, Carmina Philosophie, and The Brian S. Donaghey Center for Boethian Studies, please visit the official website at boethius.blogspot.com.
The Mission of the International Boethius Society is:
- To promote interest in Boethius and to advance Boethius studies
- To make accessible to all members, by means of publications approved by the Society, information of common interest, especially concerning the teaching of and research in Boethius
- To hold annual international meetings and other gatherings for the purpose of exchanging techniques and ideas pertinent to the proper study of Boethius and his times
- To promote and publish research and texts on Boethius and related fields
- To promote the teaching of Boethius and related areas at all appropriate levels of education
- To operate and maintain the Society exclusively for educational purposes.
Anicius Manlius Severinus Boethius (ca. A.D. 480-524/5)
Department of English
Middle Tennessee State University
1301 East Main Street
Murfreesboro, TN 37132
Main Office: Peck Hall 302
Department Chair: Dr. Maria K. Bachman
Telephone: (615) 898-5644
Fax: (615) 898-5098