EXL Program Requirements
- Minimum of 16 hours of EXL designated classes. EXL classes include co-operative education/internships, study abroad, applied learning,
service-learning, creative activity, teacher education, and laboratory experiences.
- At least one external activity. Students who do not have an external activity in their EXL coursework must either
complete an external activity or must complete a formal research project. An external
activity is defined as a project that requires the student to interact with people
external to the university or a research project where students must interact with
people outside their department or outside the campus community.
Students may complete the external activity (activity outside MTSU) or research requirement
in one of the following ways: complete an external service-learning project, actively
participate in a regional or national competition as part of a student team, or complete
a research project. The formal research project option may be completed through the
Honors College, Undergraduate Research Initiative, as a formal thesis requirement
within a major, or as an independent study class. The specific external activity or
research project must be approved by the EXL director before the student begins the
Students may also complete their external activity through a class applied learning
project or a service learning assignment.
- MTSU internal service component. Students may complete this requirement in one of three ways: participate in a leadership
role in a campus sponsored charitable activity, volunteer with a campus office to
assist other students, or be a campus leader.
Examples of MTSU service projects include the Alternative Fall Break, Alternative
Spring Break, SGA AIDS Quilt, Up ‘til Dawn, Phi Beta Sigma Steppin’ for a Cure, MTSU
Health Fair, or Make a Difference Day Projects. Any verified philanthropic activity
completed through a student organization or campus department in which the individual
coordinated the event/activity may also be counted for EXL credit.
- Documentation of completion of EXL activities via an E-Portfolio (Required EXL 4000 course, 1 credit hour counts toward the mandatory
16 credit hours)
Students should complete a Student Request for EXL Certification during pre-registration or regular registration for the semester the student plans
to graduate. The form must be filed with the EXL Director no later than the last day
to add classes each semester. This form lists the EXL Scholar requirements and provides
space for students to document their completion of requirements. Students must complete
this form to register for the EXL 4000 class.
- Participation in assessment activities.