Case Categories: Rights of Association
- Bates v. Little Rock (1960)
The Supreme Court in Bates v. Little Rock (1960) affirmed that freedom of association for the purpose of advocating ideas and airing grievances finds protection...
- Beilan v. Board of Education (1958)
In Beilan v. Board of Education (1958) the Supreme Court held that dismissal of teacher Howard Beilan for “incompetency” for refusing to answer questions...
- Board of Directors of Rotary International v. Rotary Club of Duarte (1987)
In Board of Directors of Rotary International v. Rotary Club of Duarte (1987), the Supreme Court said Rotary had no First Amendment right to exclude women. The...
- Boy Scouts of America v. Dale (2000)
In Boy Scouts of America v. Dale (2000), the Supreme Court ruled that the Scouts had the expressive association right to revoke the membership of a gay...
- City of Dallas v. Stanglin (1989)
The Supreme Court determined that a Dallas ordinance limiting teen dance halls to those age14 to 18 did not infringe upon minors' rights of association. The...
- Dawson v. Delaware (1992)
The Supreme Court ruled in Dawson v. Delaware (1992) that the First Amendment imposes limits on introducing a criminal defendant’s group associations during...
- Delaware Strong Families v. Denn (2016)
The Supreme Court did not muster four justices to grant certiorari in the case of Delaware Strong Families v. Denn (2016). But Justice Clarence Thomas filed a...
- Gentile v. State Bar of Nevada (1991)
- Holder v. Humanitarian Law Project (2010)
- Hurley v. Irish-American Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual Group of Boston (1995)
- Louisiana ex rel. Gremillion v. NAACP (1961)
- Lyng v. International Union, UAW (1988)
- NAACP v. Alabama (1958)
- NAACP v. Button (1963)
- New York ex rel. Bryant v. Zimmerman (1928)
- Shelton v. Tucker (1960)
- United States v. Robel (1967)