Case Categories: Anti-Discrimination Laws
This is a list of First Amendment cases involving discrimination laws and policies.
Laws and policies established to protect individuals from discrimination based on race, sex, ethnicity, age and religion can present the question of how to balance competing rights to free speech and expression while also protecting the rights of certain groups to live and work in an environment free from discrimination.
- Avis Rent-a-Car System v. Aguilar (2000)
In Avis Rent-a-Car System v. Aguilar, 529 U.S. 1138 (2000), the Supreme Court declined to review a ruling by the California Supreme Court allowing an injunction...
- Bob Jones University v. United States (1983)
The Supreme Court held in Bob Jones University v. United States (1983) that the IRS may deny tax-exempt status to institutions that violate federal racial...
- Boy Scouts of America v. Dale (2000)
In Boy Scouts of America v. Dale (2000), the Supreme Court ruled that the Scouts had the expressive association right to revoke the membership of a gay...
- Corporation of the Presiding Bishop of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints v. Amos (1987)
- Elane Photography v. Willock (2013)
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission v. Abercrombie & Fitch Stores, Inc. (2015)
In Equal Employment Opportunity Commission v. Abercrombie & Fitch Stores, Inc. (2015), the Supreme Court ruled that an employer could be liable under the 1964...
- Hishon v. King & Spalding (1984)
- Hughes v. Superior Court of California (1950)
- Hurley v. Irish-American Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual Group of Boston (1995)
- Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission (2018)
The Supreme Court said the First Amendment protects the religious rights of a Colorado cakeshop owner who refused to design a wedding cake for a same-sex couple...
- New York State Club Association, Inc. v. City of New York (1988)
- Roberts v. United States Jaycees (1984)