Case Categories: Picketing
- Amalgamated Food Employees Union Local 590 v. Logan Valley Plaza (1968)
In Amalgamated Food Employees Union Local 590 v. Logan Valley Plaza, (1968), the Supreme Court held that the state courts of Pennsylvania could not enjoin...
- American Federation of Labor v. Swing (1941)
In American Federation of Labor v. Swing (1941), the Supreme Court held that the state’s policy of forbidding picketing when there was “no immediate...
- American Radio Association, AFL-CIO v. Mobile Steamship Association (1974)
In American Radio Association, AFL-CIO v. Mobile Steamship Association (1974), the Supreme Court held that an Alabama court’s injunction against picketing of...
- Bakery and Pastry Drivers and Helpers Local v. Wohl (1942)
In Bakery and Pastry Drivers and Helpers Local v. Wohl (1942), the Supreme Court struck down an injunction against picketers protesting peddlers buying from...
- Boos v. Barry (1988)
In Boos v. Barry (1988), the Supreme Court ruled that a District of Columbia law violated the First Amendment by banning the display of signs criticizing a...
- Building Service Employees International Union v. Gazzam (1950)
In Building Service Employees International Union v. Gazzam (1950), the Supreme Court upheld an injunction by the Washington Supreme Court against picketers...
- Cafeteria Employees Union v. Angelos (1943)
The Supreme Court in 1943 upheld the rights of picketers who picketed outside of two cafeterias in New York saying the owners were unfair to organized labor....
- Cameron v. Johnson (1965, 1968)
In considering a Mississippi anti-picketing statute during Civil Rights era, the Supreme Court remanded a request for injunctive relief against the law back to...
- Carey v. Brown (1980)
The Supreme Court struck down an Illinois law against all residential picketing except peaceful picketing in front of homes that doubled as places of employment...
- Carlson v. California (1940)
The Supreme Court in 1940 struck down a California anti-picketing statute, concluding that barring peaceful picketing was a threat to free speech. Carlson v....
- Carpenters and Joiners Union of America, Local No. 213 v. Ritter's Cafe (1942)
The Supreme Court decided in a 1942 case that it was permissible for the state of Texas to bar a labor union's picketing against a restaurant that, as a...
- Frisby v. Schultz (1988)
- Giboney v. Empire Storage and Ice Co. (1949)
- Grayned v. City of Rockford (1972)
- Hotel and Restaurant EmployeesÃ¢ï¿½ï¿½ International Alliance v. Wisconsin Employment Relations Board (1942)
- Hughes v. Superior Court of California (1950)
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers v. National Labor Relations Board (1951)
- International Brotherhood of Teamsters Union v. Hanke (1950)
- International Brotherhood of Teamsters Union v. Vogt (1957)
- Milk Wagon Drivers Union v. Meadowmoor (1941)
- National Labor Relations Board v. Fruit and Vegetable Packers (1964)
- Police Department of Chicago v. Mosley (1972)
- Senn v. Tile Layers Protective Union (1937)
- Snyder v. Phelps (2011)
- Thornhill v. Alabama (1940)
- Tory v. Cochran (2005)
- United Association of Journeymen Plumbers and Steamfitters v. Graham (1953)