Submit all proposals electronically via email attachment to email@example.com. For answers to questions, voice concerns, or get helpful advice contact Kellie.Hilker@mtsu.edu or Skip.Kendrick@mtsu.edu
To be eligible for consideration, the application must adhere to the following guidelines and include all of the required documents.
Only proposals using the newest revised format and style available online now (Rev
11/09), will be accepted.
- Applicants should submit ONLY one original electronic copy with all original signatures. No additional copies are necessary.
Abstract - Preceding the proposal, limited to 250 words, double-spaced
Length of proposal - Limited to five (5) double spaced pages (excludes application, checklist, abstract,
biographical sketch, IRB, budget page and supporting materials.)
Font characteristics - Font size = 10 point or 12 point; figures, charts, tables, figures legends, and
footnotes may be smaller in size but must be readily legible.
Spacing and Margins - Proposal must be double-spaced with 1 inch margins in all directions.
Page numbering - Page numbers must be used on the proposal pages, centered at bottom of page.
Your complete submission package should contain:
- Completed Application Page, including all required signatures.
- Abstract should be written for a lay audience. The committee members who review these applications
come from a wide variety of academic backgrounds and will not necessarily be familiar
with each applicant's area of expertise.
- Proposal narrative. You should include clearly-labeled subsections in the narrative to address each
of the following required elements:
- Brief Introduction including a problem statement if applicable.
- Aim/Background/Significance: Include the objectives and the significance of the proposal research or creative
activity; briefly review the literature to provide a context for the project's significance
to current scholarship/research in your field; describe the contribution your project
will make to the field; discuss the hypothesis to be tested or the specific thesis
of the project.
- Research Design/Methodology or Creative Medium: Describe the methodology for the project, including data collection, sampling, or
other procedures that will be used. Provide evidence of the efficacy of your methodology.
Describe any survey instruments that will be used and provide copies of those instruments
in the attachments. Describe, in detail, the activity to be carried out in the realization
of your project. For example, discuss the specific methods of production or performance
including details of construction, composition, editing, etc., using media appendices
as examples where appropriate.
- Timeline: Outline your schedule for completion of each of the major components of the project,
from beginning to completion.
- Resources/Budget: Describe the resources necessary to carry out the project, including those already
available and those requested in the budget. See Budget Guidelines.
- Other Funding: Indicate your attempt to determine whether there are additional or alternative sources
of funding for the project and describe your results and any strategies you have for
seeking external funding for the project. The Committee is particularly interested
to know how a grant from the FRCAC can serve as seed funding for a project that will
later be competitive for external funding.
- Dissemination: Describe how the results of the project will be disseminated (e.g., the publication
of a book, a chapter, a journal article, a public performance, an art exhibition,
or a production).
- Biographical Sketch (must include final reports from all previous FRCAC funding. It is not the responsibility
of the FRCAC office to provide previous reports for new incoming applications. Copies
should be maintained by the faculty member.
- Budget Form
- Budget Justification
- Statement on the Use of Human Subjects and/or Animals in Research: Research that involves human subjects or animals must secure the appropriate approvals.
If approval is required for your project, indicate where you are in the process of
obtaining written approval from the Institutional Review Board (IRB) for use of human
subjects and /or the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) for use of
animals or the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC). The Committee will review
proposals for which the required approvals are still pending, but funding will not
be released until the approvals are complete. If you have any questions about these
approvals, please contact the Compliance Office.
- Other supporting attachments, as applicable:
- References Cited in the proposal, limited to one page.
- Written approval from the IRB, and/or IACUC if that approval has been secured, or
indication of application for same.
- Proposed Survey instruments that will be used in the research.
- Collaborative Agreement documentation with external entities.
- Letter of publisher interest for book proposals.