Dr. Angela T. Barlow
Phone: (615) 898-5353
Fax: (615) 898-2615
Jones Hall 157
Ph.D., Auburn University, Mathematics Education, 2000
M.A.M., Auburn University, Applied Mathematics, 1998
M.Ed., Auburn University, Mathematics Education, 1992
B.S., Auburn University, Mathematics Education, 1991
Supporting teachers in the instructional change process.
RECENT PUBLICATION RECORD:
- Barlow, A. T., Prince, K. M., Lischka, A. E., & Duncan, M. D. (accepted). Teaching
algebraic reasoning through variation in the U.S. Teaching and Learning Mathematics through Variation.
- Bleiler, S. K., Barlow, A. T. & Stephens, D. C. (accepted). Moving beyond context:
Challenges in modeling instruction. Annual Perspectives in Mathematics Education.
- Barlow, A. T., Lischka, A., Willingham, J. C., & Hartland, K. (in press). Backing
up for fractional understanding. Teaching Children Mathematics.
- Barlow, A. T., Gerstenschlager, N. E., & Harmon, S. E. (in press). Learning from the
unknown student. Teaching Children Mathematics.
- Yopp, D. A., Burroughs, E. A., Barlow, A. T., & Sutton, J. T. (2015). Views of coaching
practice expressed by school-based coaches, Journal of Mathematics and Science: Collaborative Explorations, 15, 123–148.
- Bleiler, S. K., Baxter, W. A., Stephens, D. C., & Barlow, A. T. (2015). Constructing
meaning: Standards for Mathematical Practice. Teaching Children Mathematics, 21, 337 – 344.
- Gaddy, A. K., Harmon, S. E., Barlow, A. T., Milligan. C., & Huang. R. (2014). Implementing
the Common Core: Applying shifts to instruction. Mathematics Teacher, 108, 109–113.
- Yopp, D. A., Barlow, A. T., Sutton, J. T., & Burroughs, E. A. (2014). Using video
of coaching practice to focus mathematics coaching programs. NCSM Journal of Mathematics Education Leadership, 15(2), 45–55.
- Barlow, A. T., Frick, T. M., Barker, H. L., & Phelps, A. (2014). Modeling instruction:
The impact of professional development on instructional practices. Science Educator, 23(1), 14–26.
- Barlow, A. T., Burroughs, E. A., Harmon, S. E., Sutton, J. T., & Yopp, D. A. (2014).
Assessing views of coaching via a video-based tool. ZDM: The International Journal on Mathematics Education, 46, 227–238.
- Barlow, A. T., & Holbert, S. M. (2014). Teachers’ perceptions of observing reform-oriented
demonstration lessons. NCSM Journal of Mathematics Education Leadership, 15(1), 35–49.
- Awarded the University of Mississippi, School of Education’s Outstanding Scholar Award,
- Awarded the University of Mississippi, School of Education’s Outstanding Grant Writing
- Awarded the University of West Georgia, College of Arts & Sciences’ Excellence in
Teaching Award, 2006
- Editor, NCSM Journal of Mathematics Education Leadership, 2013 – present
- Program Co-Chair, 2015 NCTM Regional Conference - Nashville