Dr. Barbara N. Young
Phone: (615) 898-2209
Fax: (615) 898-2859
Tennessee State University / Ed.D. in Curriculum and Instruction w/Emphasis in Cognitive
Middle Tennessee State University / Ed.S. in Curriculum & Instruction
Middle Tennessee State University / Master of Arts in Teaching w/Emphasis in English
University of New Orleans / Teacher Secondary Education Certification
University of Louisiana/ B.A. Majors: English/Psychology / Minors: History/Foreign
Cognition – Cognitive Processes
Transactional Distance in E-Learning
Online Curriculum Design
- Young, B.N. (1998). Strategies for Career-Long Teacher Education: Teacher Education
Yearbook VI. D.J. McIntyre & D.B. Byrd (Eds.). Theoretical Orientation to Reading
and Student Teaching Placement: Three Case Studies in Match and Mismatch Contexts
(pp. 199-216). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications Company.
Selected Journal Publications
- Craig, D.V. & Young, B.A. (2009). Blog, blog, blog: Online journaling in graduate
classes. Tennessee Educational Leadership, 36(2), 5-10.
- Young, B.N. & Gilbert, L. (2008). Middle School: The Bridge between Elementary School
and High School. Tennessee Educational Leadership 34(1), 17-20.
- Young, B.N., Hausler, J., & Sanders, J.W. (2007). Do Online Students Exhibit Different
Learning Styles? Tennessee Educational Leadership 34(1), 22-29.
- Young, B.N., Craig, D.V., & Patten, K.B. (2006). Examining Curriculum Design, Adaptations,
and Effective Practices in an Online Learning Environment for Teachers. International
Journal of Technology, Knowledge and Science, 1(7), 73-82. Retrieved from http://ijt.cgpublisher.com/product/pub.42/prod.203
- Young, B.N., Craig, D.V., & Patten, K.B. (2005). Curriculum Adaptations within the
Online Learning Environment. International Journal of Instructional Technology and
Distance Learning, 2(10). Retrieved from http://www.itdl.org/index.htm
- Young, B.N. & Snead, D. (2004). Using Concept-Mapping to Aid African-American Students.
Journal of Negro Education, 72(3), 333-343.
- Young, B.N., Laroche, L., & Wulfsburg, G. (2003). Discovery Videos: A Safe, Tested,
Time-Efficient Way to Incorporate Discovery Laboratory Experiments into the classroom.
Journal of Chemical Education, 80(8), 962-968.
- Clark, L. & Young, B.N. (2012). Murfreesboro Mosque: To Build or Not to Build? Forum
on Public Policy Journal of Oxford Press 2012(2), http://forumonpublicpolicy.com/vol2012.no2/religion2012no2.html
- Invitation to present at 2012 Oxford Round Table, Harris Manchester College in the
University of Oxford, Oxford, England Summer, 2012
- 2010 Award for Innovative Excellence in Teaching, Learning, and Technology. International
Conference on College Teaching and Learning 2009-2010
- Tennessee State Representative to Board of Directors of Mid-South Educational Research
- Doctoral Faculty Membership, MTSU Graduate Faculty Summer, 2007
- The Learning Resources Network (LERN), Certified Online Instructor Designation 2007
- Tennessee Board of Regents Distance Education Committee Innovations Award 2007
- MTSU College of Continuing Education/Distance Learning Distinguished Educator in Distance
Learning Award 2006
- Recipient Annual Prize for Excellence for Article "Examining Curriculum Design, Adaptations,
and Effective Practices in an Online Learning Environment." International Journal
of Technology, Knowledge and Society. (w/Dr. D.V. Craig and Ms. K.B. Patton) Fall,
- Fellowship Award MTSU Instructional Technology 2004
- MTSU Outstanding Teacher in Instructional Technology Award 2003
- Middle Tennessee State University Outstanding Teacher Award 2001
- Middle Tennessee State University Outstanding Teacher Award 1995