Department of History
Middle Tennessee State University
1301 E. Main Street
Murfreesboro, TN 37132
Main Office: Peck Hall 223
Department Chair: James Beeby
Telephone: (615) 898-2631
FOLLOW MTSU HISTORY
The Strickland Visiting Scholar Program, created out of the Roscoe L. Strickland Jr. Endowment, gives students the opportunity to meet scholars with diverse historical backgrounds. Distinguished scholars visit MTSU's campus for two weeks. During that time, they instruct classes, give public lectures, and offer brown bag talks. These lectures and discussions are opportunities for the visiting scholars to present their own research and areas of expertise to the MTSU community.
Roscoe and Lucy Strickland
Roscoe L. Strickland Jr. joined the faculty of Middle Tennessee State University in 1949. He was one of the founding members of the University's History Department in 1963. During the department's first year, Professor Strickland also established the M.A. and M.A.T. degrees in History. In 1966, he was elected as the first President of the Faculty Senate, and was a charter member of the Pi Sigma chapter of Pi Alpha Theta in 1970. Dr. Strickland left MTSU in 1972 to become President of Southern Seminary Junior College in Virginia. It was after his death in 1997 that his wife Lucy Strickland established the Roscoe L. Strickland Jr. Endowment for advancing the study of history.
Mrs. Strickland, a one-time faculty member of MTSU herself, was a great supporter of the program and attended many lectures by the Strickland scholars. She was also the first President of the Murfreesboro League of Women Voters. Mrs. Strickland pursued law at the Law School of Washington & Lee University and graduated in 1976. When she and Dr. Strickland moved back to North Carolina, she opened her own law practice. In 1988, the two moved back to Murfreesboro. Mrs. Strickland continued and finished her law career with South & Beasley and served on the MTSU Foundation from 1996 to 2002 as both a Trustee and Member. She passed away in late 2009, and the family created a scholarship fund for the music department in her honor.