2013 International Holocaust Studies Conference
GENERAL CONFERENCE INFORMATION
- The website for MTSU is www.mtsu.edu.
- The conference webpage is http://www.mtsu.edu/holocaust_studies/. (If you cannot access it through this link, pull up the A-Z index on the home page,
click on “H” and then on “Holocaust Studies Program.”) When available, the conference registration link will be on this page.
- The email for the conference is email@example.com.
- Registration for the conference is now open at: https://secure.touchnet.com/C20134_ustores/web/store_main.jsp?STOREID=18. All registration will be managed online, and all conference participants must be registered by September 1, 2015.
- Registration fees include conference materials, IT services, transportation to and
from the conference hotel, continental breakfasts and lunches (Wednesday through Friday),
and a closing reception on Friday afternoon. There are no conference dinners, but there is a restaurant in the conference hotel
and several others nearby. There is also food available on the MTSU campus and within
walking distance of the university.
- If you encounter problems with online registration, please contact Connie Huddleston
at firstname.lastname@example.org or 615-494-7628.
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Murfreesboro
1850 Old Fort Parkway, Murfreesboro, Tennessee, United States 37129
Phone: 615-895-5555 Fax: 615-895-3557
- A limited number of rooms are available at the conference rate of $99 for a single
room (king or two double beds). All room rates are subject a 9.75% state sales tax
and a 5% hotel occupancy tax.
- In order to obtain the conference rate, state that you are with the “MTSU Holocaust
Studies Conference” and request a room at the special conference rate.
- You must book your room before September 15, 2015 to get the reduced rate.
- Maps and Driving directions to the Murfreesboro Doubletree Hilton are available at
- The Doubletree is famous for giving guests large chocolate chip cookies when they
check in; ask for them at the registration desk.
- While the conference does not provide a room-sharing service, we will compile and
distribute a list of interested individuals. To be added, email email@example.com by August 15, 2015 with your name, email address, gender, and dates you plan to stay overnight at the conference hotel. Put "Room Sharing" in the subject line. On August 20, 2015, the list will be emailed to all who signed up. Participants will then need to contact
one another to make plans and to book rooms. We will not match people up or book
rooms for participants. We will not be responsible for any participant who agrees
to share a room but fails to honor his or her commitment.
- Make plane reservations for Nashville International Airport.
- Murfreesboro is approximately 28 miles SE of Nashville. To get to Murfreesboro, you
may rent a car, take an airport cab, or call Key Transport limousine services (see
Local Transportation below).
- Driving directions to the University can be found at http://www.mtsu.edu/maps/index.php.
- If you plan to drive, please check the box you will find on the registration form
for a parking permit, and we will mail it to you or you may pick it up at the registration desk.
- If you need a handicapped permit, be sure to bring your own handicapped hangtag and display it along with the MTSU
parking permit. If you have a metal handicapped license plate, all you will need to
use MTSU handicapped spaces is the MTSU parking permit displayed in your front window.
AIRPORT SHUTTLE SERVICE
- This service uses vans. Key has given us a special conference rate of $90 round trip
or $50 one-way. If two people arrive and depart together and are going to the same
place, there is a further fee reduction. For two people, round trip tickets cost $110
and for two people a one way trip is $60.
- When you call to make your reservation, state that you are with the MTSU Holocaust
Studies Conference and request the conference rate at the time you make your reservation. When you make your reservation you also must give the person who takes your reservation
the name of your airline, your flight number and a cell phone number.
- If for some reason a flight is cancelled or other complications occur, Key will attempt
to alert you via your cell phone. Key does check arrival times, but if your airline
informs you that your flight has been delayed, please phone Key with your revised
estimated time of arrival.
- Key Transport picks up passengers at the airport Information Desk on the baggage level and takes
them to the hotel or directly to the conference, as preferred. When your plane arrives
at Nashville Airport, go to the information desk and, if the driver is not waiting
for you, ask the information clerk when you can expect your driver.
- Please remember when considering the tip you wish to give your driver that the same
driver who picks you up at the airport might not be the driver who takes you back.
- We will furnish a complimentary shuttle service between the conference hotel and the
James Union Building on the MTSU campus twice a day—in the morning before the conference
begins and a return trip at the end of the day’s events. We provide no other transportation during the day.
- If you need to return to the hotel or travel elsewhere during the day, you will need
to use a taxi: City Cab at 615-895-3318, Checker Cab at 615-893-8118, or Yellow Cab
CONFERENCE MEALS (covered by registration fees)
- Continental Breakfast (Wednesday-Friday)
We provide a light breakfast to registered conference participants. It usually includes
bagels, muffins, and sweet rolls. Coffee and water generally are available all day.
- Lunches (Wednesday-Friday)
Lunches are buffet style and feature a full meal. We usually include two entrée options:
one vegetarian (not vegan) and one meat or poultry. We never order pork or shellfish,
but the meals are not kosher. The buffet generally includes entrées, vegetables,
salad, iced tea, rolls, and dessert.
- Once finalized, we will email all participants a tentative Conference Schedule. We
will invite you to make changes or correct errors in your name, professional affiliation,
or paper title at this time, with a deadline of September 1, 2015 (the final date
for conference registration for all participants). Note: we do not use professional
titles on our program.
- If you are an author and would like to sell your book(s) at the conference, please
communicate directly with the Phillips Bookstore manager, Jeff Whitwell at firstname.lastname@example.org. Mr. Whitwell and his staff will order books, bring them to the conference, and sell
them. In your email, include: the book’s full title, names of all of the authors,
publisher, ISBN number, edition, and publication date. Speakers, presenters, survivors,
liberators, and moderators all are invited to take advantage of this opportunity.
The conference deadline for submitting book sale requests is September 1, 2015.
- If you wish to bring your own books to the conference to sell, you will be responsible
for selling and managing them. We can provide a table upon request, but we can neither
provide storage for your books nor be otherwise responsible for them. Please email
Connie Huddleston at email@example.com to reserve a table.