Frequently Asked Questions for International Students

Who is an international student?
An international student is an applicant who is not US citizens or a permanent resident.

I/my parents have applied for a green card. Am I still an international student?
Yes. You are still considered an international student until you actually have the green card, and can provide us a copy.

Can international students apply to any undergraduate program at MTSU?

I attended a university after finishing high school (grades 9-12). Can I apply as a freshman, even if I only have a few credits?
No. Anyone who attended a university or college after finishing high school must apply as a transfer student.

What are the differences between a domestic (US citizen) application and an international application? All undergraduate applicants use the same application, and submit the same admissions materials. However, there are three differences for international students:

  1. An English language proficiency test may be required. It can be waived under certain circumstances.
  2. A certification of finances is required.
  3. Transfer student applicants with international transfer credit (college or university credit completed after high school outside the United States) are required to submit a course-by-course evaluation of their coursework from foreign universities and official course descriptions.

Do I need to take the TOEFL or IELTS (English language proficiency test)?
All international applicants are required to take the TOEFL or IELTS unless they meet one of the following waiver requirements:

  1. SAT Critical Reading (Verbal) score of 510 or higher;
  2. ACT Composite score of 22 or higher;
  3. One academic year (two semesters, or four quarters) of English courses at a university in the United States, with grades of B or higher;
  4. Citizens of the following countries: Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, United Kingdom; and,
  5. Graduates of a US high school or a graduates of a high school where the primary language of instruction is English (not all cases apply)..

I need to study English as Second Language (ESL) before I begin my major. Do you offer conditional admission?
If your native language is not English, you must submit official results of one of the following tests in order to receive consideration for admission:

  • Internet-based TOEFL score of 61
  • Paper-based TOEFL score of 500
  • IELTS score of 5.5

With these scores, you would be required to take the University's ESL placement exam if you are admitted. You may also be required to take some remedial English class(es) during your first term at MTSU.

What are your admissions deadlines?

Other admission deadlines:

  • Priority Fall admission, transfer students: February 15
  • Final Fall deadline, transfer students: June 1
  • Spring admission, dental hygiene transfer students: August 1
  • Spring admission, freshman and transfer students: November 15

Are offers of admission binding in any way?
An offer of admission is not binding. We do, however, ask that you confirm with us if you intend to attend MTSU prior to Orientation. Specific deadlines for confirmation will be included in your offer of admission.

I want transfer credit for my classes at a university outside of the United States. Will I receive transfer credit?
International students, U.S. citizens and permanent residents who attended (or attend) universities outside of the United States must submit a course-by-course evaluation of their academic records by World Education Services (WES: or Educational Credential Services Inc. (ECE: in order for their work to be calculated for transfer credit.

Applicants must also submit official course descriptions for all their university work completed outside the United States.

Do you have scholarships for international students?
Yes. MTSU does offer scholarships for international students. Scholarships range from $2,000 to $12,000 per academic year and are merit-based. Applicants are automatically considered for a scholarship when admitted and notifications will be included in the admission letter. The scholarships are renewable annually.

Do you know of any other sources for scholarships and financial aid?
Here are some links to scholarship and financial resources for international students. These links are provided for your information only. These resources are not affiliated with or approved by MTSU.

What is the total cost of attendance? How much do I need to have on my certification of finances?
The total attendance cost for international students for the 2013-14 academic year is $30,458.00. Costs typically increase by about 5% every year.

What is a certification of finances? Why do I need to send one? How do I submit it?
If you are not a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident, you must certify that you have sufficient financial resources to study in the United States. You must submit a certification of finances in order for MTSU to create the required documents, including the I-20, for your F1 visa application.

You have two choices for your certification of finances.

  1. If you are paying for your education:
    a. Submit a current bank statement (on bank stationery) showing a balance of at least $30,458.00 (tuition and fees for one year of study at MTSU). The balance should be converted into US currency.
  2. If someone else (a sponsor or sponsors, government agencies, family members) is paying for your education:
    a. Sponsors must submit a current bank statement (on bank stationery) showing a balance of at least $30,458.00 (tuition and fees for one year of study at MTSU). The balance should be converted into US currency.
    b. Sponsors must submit a letter indicating they will pay for your education in the United States.

Please submit your certification of finances to:

International Affairs
Middle Tennessee State University
1301 Main Street Campus, Box 120
Murfreesboro, TN 37130


What are my housing options?

  • On Campus Guest Housing The university has a limited number of 1 and 2 bedroom apartments available to visiting professors and guests of the university. These apartments are typically used on a short-term basis. In some instances they are rented for an academic school year. For more information or to check on availability, please email Joyce Vaughn in the Housing office.
  • Off Campus Housing
    This websitehas a database to search for apartments close to campus. You can also use the message board to find a roommate, buy or sell furnishings, find someone to carpool to campus, and more.

How do I apply for on campus housing?

If you want to live on campus, you must complete a Housing application. Please note that this is a separate application from applying for admission. For more information, see the Housing and Residential Life website .

Additional Questions? Please write

Facebook Icon