Student Organizations: OWLs
OWLs is the Organization for Older, Wiser Learners at MTSU providing support and
advocacy for services for all students at MTSU, regardless of age, who have primary
responsibilities outside of the University -- jobs, families, etc.
Who Are OWLs?
OWLs are MTSU students who are considered adult learners -- Older, Wiser Learners. This is an organization composed of students, regardless of age, who have primary
life responsibilities outside their studies at the University.
- We may hold down a full-time job and take classes during the evenings towards a degree.
- We may take a full academic load, but rush home after class to tend children, spouses,
elderly parents, or other dependents.
- We may be hard working jugglers -- balancing classes, part-time work, and family responsibilities.
- We may be working and continuing our studies as graduate students to obtain a graduate
degree to further our careers.
- We are on campus mainly to meet classes and to do research in the library, but we
spend much more time involved in our lives outside the University.
What Holds This Diverse Group of People Together?
We all struggle to fulfill the obligations of our "real lives" along with our studies.
OWLs bands us together, making us stronger and better able to meet the challenges which
we share with other adult students.
So Why Should I Join OWLS?
Membership in OWLs is a way to meet other students who share your concerns and interests as an adult
learner at MTSU.
- It is a support system for students who might otherwise feel alone on campus. Members genuinely care about
each other--whether it is to share feelings of anxiety regarding tests, of frustrations
regarding child care, or of elation to celebrate successes.
- It is an advocacy group that is working to increase the services provided to the adult learners at MTSU such
as child care, more scholarship funds available to adult students, evening hours for
services and offices, and more classes in the evening and weekends.
- It is a social organization, sponsoring activities such as theatre and movie outings, receptions, and other get
togethers for OWLs members to enhance their campus experience.
- It is a service organization that has developed a mentor program to match an adult learner who is new at MTSU
with a fellow student who has been here a year or two. This mentor helps the new student
cope with the first year studies at MTSU.
- It is an organization where you can contribute whatever amount of time and energy
you may have to help yourself better enjoy your experiences at MTSU and to help others
- It is a fun group of people who share your interest in securing an education to better
your life, your career, and your future. Together, we laugh through the hard times
and rejoice with each other when we have completed our goals to graduation! You are
invited to join us. An online membership form is available for your convenience.