• Judicial Affairs & Mediation Services
    A Division of Student Affairs
Traffic Citation Appeals

Student traffic citation appeals are heard by the Court of Traffic Appeals. Please visit the Student Government Association web site for full information.

Appeals may be made by visiting the SGA website, and decisions may be reviewed online as well.


What is mediation?

Mediation is a process in which a neutral third party (mediator) facilitates the discussion and identification of issues between the disputants, the development of alternate solutions, and the negotiation of a mutually satisfying outcome to the dispute.

"Training Peer Mediators in the College and University Setting: A Trainer's Guide" by Rick Olshak

Student Organizations: Planning Programs

Scheduling Social Activities

On-campus social activities sponsored by a registered student organization must be approved a minimum of five (5) school days prior to the date of the event. Organizations may not schedule a social activity so far in advance as to deny others the opportunity to use University facilities; therefore, a second like or similar function may not be scheduled until the first function has taken place. Dances and other events may require custodial, maintenance, and/or Public Safety services. The costs of such services are the responsibility of the sponsoring organization. Procedures listed below must be followed:

  1. Any event that involves the use of University facilities must be cleared with the facilities coordinator of the particular building being utilized. Properly executed forms must be filed in that office by an officer of the organization making such application for use of the facility.
  2. The use of campus grounds that are not directly associated with and reserved through the facilities coordinator of a particular building requires the completion of a Facilities Reservation Form which must be filed with and approved by the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs.
  3. Events sponsored by social Greek letter organizations must be approved by the director of Fraternity and Sorority Life.
  4. Events sponsored by non-Greek registered organizations must be approved by the director of Student Organizations and Service.
  5. Events that require police, custodial, and maintenance services may be denied if such services are not available on the date requested for the activity.
  6. Events sponsored by registered student organizations and national Greek letter organizations may not conflict with official Welcome Week activities. All events that occur during Welcome Week must be approved in advance by the Office of New Student and Family Programs.

Guest Speakers

Any officially registered student organization planning to invite a speaker to the campus for a campus-wide audience must coordinate such event through the office of Student Programming. Scheduling such events will follow the same procedures outlined for social activities and must comply with TBR Policy 1:03:02:50 Access to and Use of Campus Property and Facilities and MTSU Policy I:01:06 Use of Campus Property and Facilities Scheduling.

Any organization or club planning to invite speakers to the campus for an address shall inform the organization faculty advisor before the invitation is extended. The officers of student organizations should be able to inform the advisor concerning a prospective speaker’s position, title, background, and reputation. The club or organization which extended the invitation might be asked to present to the dean of Student Life a plan which strives to ensure that the speaker’s presence will not disrupt normal campus operations.

If, because of an invited speaker, a place other than the usual meeting space is required by the student club or organization, the organization shall go through the regularly established channels for requesting such space. When making such requests, four weeks notice is recommended.

Fundraising Projects

Any fundraising project to be conducted by an organization must be registered with the director of Student Organizations and Service five (5) days prior to the date of the project. A meeting with the director may be necessary in order to ensure organizational compliance with all University policies. See “Solicitation and Fundraising” for additional information concerning fundraising activities.

Other Organizational Programs

All other organization-sponsored programs must comply with all University policies and procedures concerning the use of University facilities.

On-Campus Publicity

  1. Signs. Signs advertising club or organization activities must comply with the bulletin board policy which appears on page 34 of the Rights and Responsibilities booklet.
  2. Public Address and Loudspeaker Systems. Organizations planning to use public address systems, platforms, and other special equipment should consult the Office of the Dean of Student Life and/or the director of Public Safety.

Conduct of Parades

Parades, whether held on or off campus, must be registered with the dean of Student Life Office and/or the director of Public Safety five (5) school days before the parade.

Use of Amplification Equipment

The use of loudspeakers or any other type of amplification equipment must be approved by the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs before the filing of the Facilities Reservation Form.

Sound equipment must not disrupt normal functions of the University (including residential facilities) or unduly disturb the surrounding community. Band, DJ, or other functions involving the amplification of music are restricted to the following times. Exceptions may be approved by the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs.

  • Friday 3:00 p.m.–midnight
  • Saturday 1:00 p.m.–midnight
  • Sunday 1:00 p.m.–8:00 p.m.

The use of amplification equipment or loudspeakers is not permitted in the vicinity of academic buildings or activities during regularly scheduled class hours. This includes the quadrangle in the front of Walker Library during library hours. Exceptions may be approved by the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs. The University may regulate the placement of speakers and the volume of amplified sound either prior to or during the course of all outdoor functions which utilize amplification equipment. The dean of Student Life or his/her designee and the Department of Public Safety shall be authorized to make such determinations. Failure to comply with requests to lower sound levels may result in immediate termination of the event.