Books available for checkout from our LT&ITC Library
- Rapid Instructional Design: Learning ID Fast and Right
Discusses instructional design, pre-design activities, how to choose the right tools, and how to implement the course and evaluate it's effectiveness. Also has a section dedicated to online course design.
- Understanding by Design
Has a great chapter on "backwards" course design.
- Brief Survival Guide for New Graduate Teaching Assistants
A number of topics are covered such as planing a class, writing objectives, working with student needs, and structuring adequate office hours.
- Design & Teach a Course,
Eberly Center for Teaching Excellence, Carnegie Mellon
- Teaching Goals Inventory
Contains 53 prompts to help instructors identify their goals for a particular course. This on-line version offers rapid self-scoring and data comparisons across goal areas and disciplines.
- Fink's Five Principles of Good Course Design
Resources for Hybrid and Online Course Design
- Ten questions to consider when redesigning a course for hybrid teaching and learning
- Ten Best Practices for Teaching Online: Quick Guide
These best practices will assist in keeping you in touch with your students and developing relevant course material.
- Redesigning Online Instruction: Theory and Application
Author Catherine Gouge of West Virginia University takes you step-by-step through her redesign of an on-site editing class for an online program.
- A Guide to the Flipped Classroom
What is the intent of a flipped classroom? This article gives a clear description of the approach.
“Simply transmitting information should not be the focus of teaching; helping students to assimilate that information should.”
- Illinois Online Network, Online Teaching Activity Index
This index listing is a compilation of activities to engage learners and improve their online learning experience
- Interactive and Activities in Online and Hybrid Courses
From a GeoSciences perspective, how an instructor can prepare themselves and how best to structure activities for improved learning
- How to Make Group Work Collaborative in Online Courses
Complete with the how and why of group work, this resource is invaluable in development of online group work. This blog is a great resource to subscribe to if your looking to keep up with educational technology ideals.