General Guidelines

General Guidelines to Follow Once You Have Enrolled

  • VA will only pay for courses required for major or minor. You should report any changes in your major/minor to the MTSU Veterans and Military Family Center immediately.

  • You must notify the MTSU Veterans and Military Family Center immediately of any changes in registration or class attendance which may affect your status as a full- or part-time student.

  • VA benefits are based on the number of credit hours a student is registered for and attending. Dropping or not attending classes could result in overpayment. Additionally, certain courses (ENGL 1009, 1010, 1020, READ 1000, MATH 0990, and remedial/developmental courses) award a grade of "N" if the student does not earn the minimum grade required for the course. Since MTSU Academic Regulations consider a grade of "N" to be a non-punitive grade, Veterans Administration rules & regulations state that a student cannot be paid for a non-punitive grade. Therefore, if you receive an "N" grade in a course, you could incur an overpayment which you will have to repay to the Veterans Administration. Please contact the Veterans and Military Family Center at (615) 898-2601 or (615) 898-5040 if you have any questions regarding this matter.

  • VA will only pay benefits for one program at a time. If you are working toward two different degrees and/or programs at the same time, you must choose which one will be your primary program to be reported to the VA.

  • You cannot be certified to re-enroll in courses for which you have earned a passing grade. VA will only pay for repeating courses with grades of "F", "N", or "W" unless the MTSU catalog specifically states that a certain minimum grade is required.

  • VA will not pay for online remedial/developmental courses.

  • You should not enroll in any courses that you have previously been given credit earned by military service.

  • Most internships/practical training/independent study courses are not approved for VA educational benefits. Please check with the veterans coordinator, Mr. Ray Howell in the MTSU Veterans and Military Family Center, prior to enrolling in these courses.

  • Incoming veterans should consult their academic advisors and Mr. Scott Hurt (Admissions) for evaluation of prior military credit. Military credits apply to cumulative hours earned, but may not apply to your degree program. Excessive hours may disqualify you for financial aid.  Thus you will want to work with your academic advisor and Admission in deciding what training to submit.

  • Incoming veterans who are classified as out-of-state for fee payment purposes should discuss with Mr. Scott Hurt (in the Admissions Office) their residency status.

  • Veterans may provide a copy of their DD FORM 214 to the MTSU Health Services Office to satisfy the MMR immunizations requirement to be eligible for full-time enrollment.

Veteran Benefit Education Service Web Site

For information and questions concerning the Montgomery GI Bill go to

Information regarding