Making the Move
Packing & Moving
To help in the moving process, you will need to get some boxes, masking tape, permanent
markers, paper (preferably old newspapers), a dolly (if needed), transportation (car,
truck, van, etc.), and help from family and friends. Click here for a list of moving resources .
Here are some moving tips:
- Visit local businesses to get everything you will need for your moving and packing.
- Ask the on-duty store manager for "free"; boxes or purchase boxes at your local rental
truck moving and storage places of business.
- Check the "paper-only"; recycle bins at your apartment or school (ask before going
into the bins) or save/collect old newspapers.
- Convince your friends to come over to help you pack and move.
- Try not to pack your things in trash bags, because someone might throw a bag away…thinking
it was trash.
- Avoid using string for securing boxes, use packing tape.
- Pack items into categories. Avoid mix and match packing. Example: Kitchen-dishes and
silverware should be packed into the same box.
- When labeling your boxes, do not write on the tops of the boxes, write on the sides.
If boxes are stacked, it's easier to identify what's what.
- Pack your stereo or television last. You will want entertainment while you are packing.
- Protect glassware and other breakables by wrapping them in several sheets of newspaper.
- If your move is long distance, do not pack meats and other perishable goods.
- Use a "dolly"; (hand-truck) for moving heavy item to avoid straining your back. You
can rent a "dolly"; from your local rental truck moving and storage places of business.
- Most importantly, pack all your valuables yourself, such as rings, watches, chains,
cash, bank account information, important papers, medications, etc.
- Do not forget to lock the outside entrance doors and windows to the residence as you
are making your final departure from the premises. Never leave the residence unlocked.
- When possible, it is wise to have the landlord present at the time of your final departure
for three reasons: (1) final inspection (2) turn in the key (3) determine amount of