IV:04:16 Building Access
The purpose of the Building Access policy is to establish and maintain system integrity in the issuance and return, accountability, and record keeping of building access.
A. Mechanical Access
1. Employees may be issued keys to University buildings upon recommendation and approval of the proper authority. A key card must be completed by the employee requesting access.
2. Keys may not be transferred from one individual to another (even within the same department) unless a Key Request Card has been filed with the Key Shop in Facilities Services.
3. Duplication of University keys is a responsibility of the University locksmith. It is prohibited by University Policy for individuals to duplicate University keys.
4. Individuals to whom University keys are issued are responsible for their physical security and their use. The loss or theft of any key must be reported immediately to University Police and the Academic/Administrative Department Head who, in turn, will notify the Key Shop in Facilities Services.
5. Lost keys which have been found should be forwarded immediately to the Key Shop in Facilities Services. The keys will be identified and returned to the owner or destroyed and removed from the records.
6. Core changes will be made only upon the request of a person responsible for that area after he has evidence that security has been lost on an individual lock. Keys that can be accounted for must be returned when a core change is made before new keys are issued.
7. Each Academic/Administrative Department Head will be required to certify the accuracy of an inventory list of keys issued for areas under his/her jurisdiction.
8. The Academic/Administrative Department Head is responsible for the inventory of all keys and the return of the keys to the Key Shop in Facilities Services when they are no longer approved for an individual's use. This applies to transfers, change of status or other conditions where keys are no longer needed by the employee.
9. The Academic/Administrative Department Head will issue written verification to person returning keys, showing date and identification of keys returned.
10. Employees who terminate their service with the University or transfer to other Departments are responsible for returning their keys to the Department Head who will initiate a final check-out form. The final check-out form must be completed in all aspects. Failure to clear all accounts could delay distribution of the employee's final paycheck. (See MTSU Policy IV:07:18 Exit Interview/Check-Out Procedures for Terminating Regular Employees.)
B. Electronic Access Control
1. Employees may be issued access to University buildings via the electronic access control system upon recommendation and approval of the proper authority. An electronic access control form must be completed by the employee requesting access.
2. Individuals to whom University ID cards are issued are responsible for their physical security and their use. The loss or theft of any ID card must be reported immediately to the ID Office, who, in turn, will notify the Key Shop in Facilities Services.
3. Students are issued electronic access to buildings, classrooms and labs per written request by the department.
4, Reporting lost ID cards is the responsibility of the card holder. A card holder may not permit any other person to use the card assigned to the card holder.
5. If any employee terminates service with the University or transfers to another department, it is the responsibility of the department to notify the Key Shop in Facilities Services to terminate card access.
Persons requiring access to buildings should go to the Facilities Services website under Building Access. The electronic access form and check out form can be access at this site.
REQUIRED APPROVAL AND DISPOSITION OF KEY/ACCESS REQUESTS
Key Type/Access Level Key/Access Request Approved by Key/Access Disposition
Master Key V.P. Business and Finance* Approved Individual
Classroom Key Department Head* Department
Other Doors (such as outside Department Head or Building Supervisor*
door, supply rooms, etc.)
Residential Life Director of Housing* Housing Office
* Responsible for signing check-out form for terminating employees.
Revisions: October 7, 1981 (original); May 19, 2014.
Cross-references: MTSU Policy IV:07:18 Exit Interview/Check-Out Procedures for Terminating Regular Employees.