Political Science

Frequently Asked Questions

The Student Handbooks contain abundant information related to the Department of Political Science, our programs, faculty, etc.

Responses to these frequently asked questions will usually link you to information here on our web site.

What can I do with a degree in political science? Political Science majors work in a wide range of areas. See the Department's " Careers in Political Science Workshop 2011 "; . In addition, the American Political Science Association provides information at http://www.apsanet.org/content_6457.cfm.

What are the requirements for majoring in political science? We offer a program in political science with a general focus and with optional concentrations in pre-law , and public administration , and with teaching licensure . We also offer a separate major in international relations . For details on requirements, click the particular program. Perhaps the best way to see all the requirements is using the Upper Division Form . It lists general education, major requirements, and all other requirements to graduate.

What is the difference between a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree and a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree? A BA requires one minor and 12 hours of foreign language; a BS requires two minors and has no foreign language requirement.

What do I need to know and do to go to law school? See the Department's "Thinking About Law School?";

What is Mock Trial, Moot Court, Mediation Team, and Model UN and how can I participate? These are student organizations that participate actively in intercollegiate competitions. To participate in Mock Trial, all you need to do is register for PS 2100. To participate in Moot Court, contact Dr. DiPaolo; to participate on the Mediation Team, contact Dr. Willis; and to participate in Model UN, contact Dr. Petersen.

What is an internship? How do I obtain one? Does an internship count for credit? What do I need to do? An internship involves working with a firm or agency during the course of a semester to gain hands-on experience. Students sign up for one of the PS internship courses to receive credit for the internship. Credit ranges from 3 credit hours up to 12 hours depending on the number of hours worked. Students are free to seek out internships. The Department maintains a listing of internship opportunities on the bulletin board outside the Department office. For additional information on the requirements for an internship click here.

Is public service the same as an internship? No. Public service involves volunteer activity in a community-based organization working on particular projects. It is less formal than an internship. A public service activity may involve less time commitment and may be incorporated into a formal class. For more information on public service see the Department's " Public Service Workshop 2011";.

Do I have to take courses in any particular order? Generally speaking, NO. Some courses do have pre-requisites, meaning that you have to have taken certain courses in order to enroll in that course. PS 1005 and PS 1010 are pre-requisites for most of our upper division (3000-4000 level) courses, and thus should be taken early on. You do not have to take general education courses before starting your major, though getting them out of the way early is probably a good idea.

Who is my advisor? You can find out who your advisor is on RaiderNet.

Where can I get information about going to graduate school? See the handout from the Department's Graduate School Workshop or click here.


Student Handbooks

(2012 edition)

Page 1 of Handbook

(2012 edition)

Page 1 Handbook