Admission to Candidacy

Students desiring to be Recording Industry majors must apply for and be admitted into a limited number of openings in the program. This ensures our majors have ample access to our facilities and maintains the integrity of our degree by selecting students who perform at a high level. You will not be eligible to take most Recording Industry courses unless and until you are granted admission.

Please read the important information regarding candidacy below and click here to formally apply for candidacy when eligible.

Admission is granted three times per year after the end of the Fall, Spring and Summer semesters. Students should apply for candidacy BEFORE THE END of the semester in which they will have completed the following requirements for candidacy:

  1. You are a student in good standing;
  2. You have completed all high school deficiencies and developmental studies courses;
  3. You have completed 45 hours; and
  4. You have taken the core RIM courses and math:
    1. RIM 1020 American Media and Social Institutions (same as JOUR/EMC 1020)
    2. RIM 3000 History of the Recording Industry
    3. RIM 3010/3011 Audio Fundamentals
    4. RIM 3600 Survey of the Recording Industry
    5. MATH 1710 College Algebra or higher level Math.

Students are then ranked according to the following formula:

(cum GPA x 3) + (math grade x 3) + (core RIM GPA x 4) + (total hrs earned x .05)

This formula includes the weighted numbers for cumulative GPA, the required mathematics course (College Algebra) grade, the core RIM courses GPA, and total hours earned. Download the excel file to calculate your score.

Each semester, 85% of the following number of openings is filled according to the students ranking and the remaining 15% of available slots in each concentration will be awarded based on a faculty committee recommendation on an appeal application:

Fall: AP=50, MB=60, CS=
Spring: AP=50, MB=60, CS=
Summer AP_

Admissions based on the candidacy formula will be announced before the beginning of the Spring semester, for fall applications, and before the beginning of Summer session 2, for Spring applications.

If you meet our minimum standards (3.2 or higher cumulative GPA, or a 3.0 and an A in Math 1710 or higher), you may be awarded "Provisional Candidacy." Provisional Candidacy will allow you to register for post-candidacy classes during priority registration pending formal admission based on completion of requirements and appropriate ranking.  Please check your MTSU email for notices about the early deadline for provisional candidacy.

The form and basic instructions for appealing rejected candidacies can be found here.  Awards based on appeals from the most recent semester will be announced before the beginning of priority registration during the following semester.  For instance, if you file an appeal after being denied Fall 2013 candidacy, you will receive your appeal decision before priority registration for Summer and Fall 2014 classes.

Students who do not achieve candidacy by appointment or appeal may reapply the following semester.

Recording Industry on Facebook     Recording Industry on Twitter