Please note the important dates for waitlisting for upcoming terms:
- Waitlisting for Summer 2018 will be active until May 8, 2018. Those already on a waitlist as of this date who have paid or confirmed will remain on the waitlist during the purge on May 9, 2018. Those offered seats in S1, S5, and Full Term classes from a waitlist will have from midnight until noon on May 10, 2018 to register for those classes, at which point waitlisting will be turned off for Summer 2018 for the S1, S5, and Full Terms. Waitlisting will remain open for the S2 and S4 Terms until May 31, 2018 (S2 and S4 waitlists will be cleared at noon on June 1, 2018) and for the S3 Term until July 5, 2018 (S3 waitlists will be cleared at noon on July 6, 2018).
- Waitlisting for Fall 2018 will be active until August 19, 2018. Those already on a waitlist as of this date who have paid or confirmed will remain on the waitlist during the purge on August 20, 2018. Those offered seats from a waitlist will have from midnight until noon on August 21, 2018 to register for those classes, at which point waitlisting will be turned off for Fall 2018.
Select courses now offer the option to join a waitlist for a closed section. If waitlist seats are available on a closed course, you will receive a closed class error message with the option to join the waitlist after entering the CRN. After adding to the waitlist, you are offered an open seat in that section based on the order you joined the waitlist. When a seat opens an email is generated and sent to your MTMail account, along with a deadline for you to log on to Pipeline and add the class to your schedule. If the deadline passes and you did not register for the offered section, the option is removed and the seat offered to the next person on the waitlist.
Please note the following regarding waitlists:
- You may not register/waitlist for duplicate courses. For example, if you are registered or waitlisted in a section of COMM 2200 you may not join a waitlist for another section of COMM 2200. You can only be in one section at a time, either registered or on the waitlist.
- You may be on waitlists for different classes, but you cannot be on multiple waitlists for the same class.
- If your waitlisted course has a corequisite and the available seat only opened in one of the courses, you will need to find an open corequisite and drop the other waitlisted course to be able to successfully register.
- Registration holds, such as business office or advising holds, will prevent you from adding an offered seat on a waitlisted course. If you have a registration hold and miss your allotted time to register for an offered waitlist course, you will lose the opportunity to register and may re-add to the waitlist if the class is still closed and you want to waitlist again.
- You can be on a waitlist for a class that has a time conflict with a currently registered course, but you will have to change the course with the time conflict if you are offered a seat and wish to register for the waitlisted class.
Instructions and Screenshots:
An example of trying to add a closed class and the waitlist option being offered is below, after entering in a CRN for a class with no seats available.
Change the "Action" to "Waitlist" and click on Submit Changes at the bottom of the screen.
After you submit changes, the waitlisted class will appear on your screen as you see below. You are NOT REGISTERED in the class and you will not see this class on your schedule. This simply shows that you are on the waitlist, and you will come back to this page if offered a seat to register in the course.
If you are notified of an open seat being held for you, log on to Pipeline in the 12-hour window to register for the class. To do so, change the status of the class under "Action" to "Web Registered." Click on the "Submit Changes" button to process the added class, and make sure you drop any classes with time conflicts when you do this.
Now you are registered in the course! It will appear on your schedule at this point.
In the next example, you can identify classes with the waitlist option by the category "WL Cap" in the middle of the "Look Up Classes" feature. The category "WL Act" lets you know how many people are already on the waitlist, and "WL Rem" tells you if any seats remain on the waitlist. If the number for "WL Cap" is set to zero, waitlist is not an option for that course.
Selecting the waitlist option will be available until one day before the first "purge." Anyone who has paid or confirmed will stay on waitlists to have first priority at seats that open during the class schedule purge. Those notified of open seats will have until the next morning to add their classes, at which point waitlists will no longer be available for the semester. Please note for the summer term waitlisting will remain available for the S2, S3, and S4 parts of term later after the first purge until just before those parts of term begin.