The following list should be helpful in the purchase process for projects funded by
Technology Access Fees. Please remember to coordinate with Dr. Watson Harris all purchases
whether by requisition or e-mail. This includes any upgrades, change orders, or cancellations
to all purchase requests.
PLEASE PUT YOUR PROPOSAL NUMBER ON ALL CORRESPONDENCE.
- Requisitions must be submitted electronically through MT $ource for all purchases.
Purchases from the Phillips Bookstore and from ITD must be first approved by sending
an e-mail to Maria Knox at email@example.com.
- Please note projects are approved by project line items, not by dollars. If the item
was not listed specifically in the proposal, you are not authorized to purchase the
item. The only modifications permitted to the proposal(s) must involve an upgrade
in computer technology or a substitution due to obsolescence. Examples of possible
upgrades include change from Windows 2003 to Windows XP, change in computer speed
to a higher MHz, or increase in RAM capacity.
- To meet TBR's request that all TAF funds be spent in the year collected, MTSU approves
more projects than there is funding. As a result, projects receive funding on a first
requested, first funded basis. Because projects are not allocated dollars, any savings
through the purchase process are collected in the overall TAF accounts and used to
balance the TAF accounts at the end of the year. Additionally, purchases requested
past December will not receive funding if the TAF funds have been exhausted.
- Remember all TAF equipment must be accessible to students. Items may not be installed
or located in a faculty office.
Purchases for all items - Requisition required through MT $ource.
- Submit a requisition through MT $ource. The account number is located on the TAF proposal
website next to the first line item. Change the cart name in MT $ource to the TAF
number. Include the TAF proposal number from the web as an internal note and relate
the items requested on the requisition to the items listed on the proposal. Include
any bid requirements as an external attachment. Any email associated with the request,
should be included as an internal attachment.
- The requisition will be processed and approved through MT $ource.
- When the item purchased is received, make notations in MT $ource as received. This
will notify Accounts Payable to process once the settlement status is marked as fully
- Change orders must be approved by Watson. Send an email to Watson ( firstname.lastname@example.org) and Maria ( email@example.com) requesting the increase to the purchase order and the reason for the increase. We
will forward your request to Purchasing.
Purchases from ITD or Phillips Bookstore
- Send an email to Watson ( firstname.lastname@example.org) and Maria ( email@example.com) requesting approval to purchase item from ITD or Phillips Bookstore. She will provide
the account number and reference number to be used in the purchase.
- Purchase the items. Send the Phillips Bookstore receipt, copy of the approving email
and any other documentation of the purchase to Maria at CAB 111.
- Submit the Software Order Form to ITD. Add the TAF proposal number after your display
(Paperwork can be initiated early for a July 1 start date.)
- All student help employed in the five TAF funded computer labs must be registered
in the Student Technology Assistance Program. Robin Jones in ITD is the contact person. She determines the rate of pay for student
help. GA wages are determined by the Graduate Office.
- Complete a PAF form for Graduate Assistant help. The student's, department chair's,
and dean's signatures are needed before forwarding to Watson. Please include the departmental
timekeeping location on the form and the TAF proposal number. The position and account
number will be assigned in Provost's office. To have tuition paid for the student,
please send an email to Sherry Justice, Maria Knox, and Watson Harris, stating the
semester(s) that tuition will be paid. Watson will confirm the email with the account
number. Students must be enrolled full time every semester they are employed.
- Complete a PEF for student help. Student's, department chair's, and dean's signatures
are needed before forwarding to Watson. Please include the departmental timekeeping
location on the form. The position and account number will be assigned in Provost's
office. Students must be enrolled full time every semester they are employed.
Construction for a TAF Project
Construction schedules are coordinated through Watson. Facilities Services and Watson
have tentatively scheduled all projects requiring assistance from Facilities Services.
Do not contact Facilities Services directly to schedule a TAF project.
Category Zero - Scheduled Replacement
To replace instructional computers or printers (office computers and printers are
excluded) that are four years old, send an email to Maria with the tag numbers. She
forwards the request to ITD. ITD will investigate the use and location, and make a
recommendation to the Instructional Technology Committee. The standard configuration
amount for computers is currently $1040 for PCs and $1249 for MACs. The printer configuration
is the closest technology to existing printer. If you need more technology than the
standard configuration, there are three ways to pursue the additional funding: departments
may 1) subsidize the cost beyond the standard configuration, 2) submit a proposal
through another TAF category, or 3) submit a request for an exception to the standard
to the ITC. Please note the Instructional Technology Committee has not yet granted