Childhood lead poisoning

"What's done to children, they will do to society"
- Dr. Karl Menninger

Who is at risk?

Children under six because:

  • their bodies are still developing
  • they are more likely to put their hands, toys, and other objects in their mouths
  • lead based paint has a sweet taste which may encourage little ones to eat paint chips as candy

Pregnant women are more likely to absorb lead and they can pass lead to their unborn child.

Click here to find out if your family is at risk!

The current national action level is 10 µg of lead/deciliter of blood but current research shows that ANY amount of lead in a child's body can create long-term effects.

Lead does not belong in the human body. Lead does not discriminate based on sex, race, or socio-economic status. It's this simple; if a child under the age of 6 is exposed to lead — either in their home or a home they visit - then they are at risk for lead poisoning. The only way to know if you or your child is poisoned is a simple blood test…talk to your doctor or health department today!

Why is lead poisoning dangerous?

  • Many are unaware of it's presence in their home. Lead is not distinctive; lead is a silent threat. There is no way to look at a wall or a window or a baseboard and know that it contains lead-based paint.
  • Typically, there are no symptoms of low level lead poisoning; a blood test is the ONLY way to know.
  • If there are symptoms, they can be mistaken for the flu. These can include stomach cramps, nausea, constipation, diarrhea, fatigue, or muscle weakness. At very high levels, lead poisoning can cause seizures, coma, and even death.
  • The effects are permanent and long-term; prevention is the only cure for lead poisoning. Have your child's lead level tested at ages 1 and 2.

The effects of lead poisoning

  • Growth Delays
  • Developmental Delays
  • Learning Disabilities
  • Lowered I.Q.
  • Violent/Agressive Behavior
  • Speach Delay
  • Hearing Loss
  • Increased Risk for ADHD and Autism
  • All effects are PERMANENT
  • High levels can lead to siezure, coma, or death