Undergraduate Research Center
- March 15, 2017: Summer Course Proposals (see below for description)
- March 23, 2017: Summer Teams and URECA application deadline
- March 27-31, 2017: SCHOLARS WEEK
Summer Research Courses - Call for Proposals
The Undergraduate Research Center is soliciting proposals from faculty to develop research/creative summer classes for students. The goal of the program is to develop faculty research programs during the summer, allow undergraduate students to participate in authentic research/creative work in an intensive environment, and encourage students to gain experience to prepare them for more independent research/creative projects.
If the class attracts the minimum number of students required for summer courses, the faculty member can earn summer salary. A $500 incentive is being offered for complete proposals. The deadline to submit a proposal is March 15, 2017. Awardees will be notified by March 27, 2017.
Interested in Summer Internships? Here are some links to different research opportunities:
- Aegis Sciences Corporation - deadline is March 17, 2017. More information can be found here.
- Office of Naval Research - Deadline is November 30, 2016
- National Institutes of Health - Application open 11/1 - 3/1
- NASA Laboratories
- Research Experiences for Undergraduates - Deadlines & locations vary
- Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships - Deadline is January 13, 2017
- MTSU Career Development Center
URC Funding Statistics
The MTSU Undergraduate Research Center was created in 2004 to promote research at the undergraduate level and to provide university support for undergraduate students and the faculty members who mentor them in scholarly and creative activities. This includes providing information and financial support through grants.
Although the URC administers the university funds dedicated to undergraduate research through Undergraduate Research Experience and Creative Activity (URECA) grants, the URECA Committee evaluates proposals based on merit. This committee is composed of accomplished and passionate faculty representatives from all 5 colleges at MTSU. Programs that involve undergraduate research on campus include: MTSU Honors College, TLSAMP, Tennessee Space Grant, Geoenvironmental Challenges REU, and First STEP.
As part of the Office of Research, the Undergraduate Research Center (URC) mission is to be the central hub for communication about undergraduate research grant programs and other related opportunities on and off campus and to distribute university funds for undergraduate research and creative projects and travel to disseminate results.
The URC is pursuing its vision to nurture a culture of research and creative activity at MTSU through support for undergraduate students and their faculty mentors.
Implement the goals of the University's Academic Master Plan related to the URC mission with the following values:
- Excellence in research, scholarship, and creative projects
- Opportunities for student-centered learning
- Productive internal and external collaborations and partnerships
- Success in academic and professional careers of our undergraduate students and their faculty mentors
Follow us on Facebook!