An engineer officer is responsible for providing full support to the wide range of engineering duties in the Army. They can help build structures, develop civil works programs and even provide combat support.
- Sapper — Emplace demolitions, conduct reconnaissance and support maneuver units with mobility, countermobility and survivability
- Bradley — Destroy, neutralize and suppress the enemy using the Bradley Fighting Vehicle
- Construction — Construct roads, buildings, military bases, airfields, etc.
- Bridge — Construct, emplace or assemble numerous bridges
- Rescue — Perform search and rescue operations
- Training — Train the force, write new policy and research alternative engineering technology
Job training for an engineer officer begins with an undergraduate degree and the Basic Officer Leadership Course. Other opportunities may include taking courses at graduate schools and other military institutions.
- Self-discipline, confidence and intelligence
- Physically and mentally fit to perform under pressure
- Ability to make quick decisions
- Capable of bearing numerous responsibilities