Swimming is a sport everyone can enjoy, regardless of age or limitations. American Red Cross swimming classes are offered almost every month for ages 6 months to 99+ years!
Group Swim Lessons
2019 American Red Cross Swim Classes
This entire year we are offering three levels of preschool classes and six levels of Learn-to-Swim classes. We also offer Teen and Adult Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced courses.
- 50-Minute Sessions: Students $65, Employees $75, Guests $85
- 30-Minute (PCA Only): Students $35, Employees $45, Guests $55
|February 4-15||June 17-28|
|March 11-22||July 1-12|
|April 1-12||July 15-26|
|May 6-17||September 9-20|
|May 20-31||September 30-October 11|
Get all details in the 2019 Aquatics Brochure.
- 100% 14 days before class
- 50% 8-13 days before class
- No refund one week before class
Registration takes place online or at the Campus Recreation main office.
If you are not sure what level to register for, the complete listing of level descriptions can be seen below.
Preschool Aquatics: This is for children approximately 4-5 years of age. Throughout the trhee levels, preschool aged children are taught basic aquatic safety and progressive swimming skills while increasting their comfort level in and around the water with age appropriate skills.
- Preschool Level 1: Orients children to the aquatic environment and helps them gain basic aquatic skills.
- Preschool Level 2: Helps children gain greater independence in their skills and develop comfort in and around the water.
- Preschool Level 3: Helps children start to gain basic swimming propulsive skills to be comfortable in and around water.
Learn-to-Swim: This is for individuals approximately 6 years old to teens and is designed to help participants achieve maximum success. The course is based off a logical, six-level progression that helps swimmers of varying ages and ability develop their water safety, survival, and swim skills.
- Level 1: Introduction to Water Skills
Helps participants feel comfortable in water and includes skills such as entry/exit, floating and supported gliding as well as basic water safety rules.
- Level 2: Fundamental Aquatic Skills
Gives participants success with fundamental skills including breath holding, tretieving objects, combined stroke, front and back floating with minimal support, and personal safety and rescue skills.
- Level 3: Stroke Development
Builds on skills in Level 2 and includes deep water skills, diving from a kneeling position, back and survival float, treat water, and both flutter and dolphin kicks.
- Level 4: Stroke Improvement
Develops confidence in skills learned and improves other aquatic skills such as swimming underwater and elementary backstroke, breaststroke, sidestroke and butterfly.
- Level 5: Stroke Refinement
Provides further coordination and refinement of strokes. Includes skills such as strode jump entry, tuck and pike servace dives, front and back flip turns whil swimming and sculling.
- Level 6: Swimming and Skill Proficiency
Refines the strokes so participants swim them with ease, efficiency, power and smoothness over greater distances.
Adult Swim: Intended for teens and adults who wish to improve their aquatic knowledge and skills. There are three adult levels offered: Learning the Basics, Improving Skills and Swimming Strokes, and Swimming for Fitness.
Private Swim Lessons
MTSU Campus Rec offers private lessons for ages 6 months (Parent and child) through adulthood. Private lessons are for those seeking one-on-one swimming instruction. Private lessons are a half hour per session, and will focus on the goals of the participant. Individuals may register for as many sessions as desired.
How to Register:
Return a registration form or fill one out in the Campus Recreation office. Our office hours are Monday - Friday, 7:30 am - 5:00 pm. Campus Recreation accepts cash, check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express. Everyone who parks on campus is required to have a parking permit. Bring your license plate number with you when you register for swim lessons, and we will issue a parking permit. Call 615.898.2104 for more information.
Teach Swim Lessons
Teaching someone how to swim and be safe in the water is a truly rewarding experience that instructors never forget! We use the expansive American Red Cross Learn-to-Swim program to teach all age groups water safety. We are always interested in hiring people who love being in a pool environment (swim team, experience teaching water safety, etc.). If this sounds interesting to you, keep reading!
I Want to Teach Swim Lessons! Now What?
We only train and hire American Red Cross (ARC)-certified Water Safety Instructors (WSI). The requirements are that you must:
- Be at least 16 years old by the end of the course
- Pass the pre-course test
As a Water Safety Instructor candidate, you will learn how to teach aquatic skills, use course materials, conduct training sessions, and evaluate participant progress.
Join Our Team!
Working at Campus Recreation provides many great benefits to WSIs like you, including:
- Opportunities to work with all age groups
- Lots of classes to choose from to teach (variety of types, times, ages)
- Lower training costs (only pay the cost of the training). For example, if you only teach one full course all summer, you've already recouped all training costs!
- Student-friendly, flexible work schedules
- Access to the Campus Rec facility (weight room, basketball courts, etc.)
- Build your resume and credentials
Download an official application or pick on up at the Campus Rec office. Once your application is completed, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org and set up an appointment time for the facility lifeguard skills test.
For pool closing updates due to severe weather, follow us on Twitter @MTSURecRainLine or bookmark the feed if you're not on Twitter.
P.O. Box 556
Murfreesboro, TN 37132