MTOP Policies and Procedures
- Participants need to stay with the group and listen to trip leaders. Safety is the most important part of our trips, and paying attention to staff is much appreciated
- Leave No Trace – we always adhere to LNT guidelines, and this especially means packing out any trash we bring in, so bring a bag for your trash as we want to keep the trail clean. Brownie points if you pick up other people’s trash too!
- As MTOP trips are an extension of MTSU rules and policies, alcohol, drugs, and weapons
/ firearms are not allowed and staff are required to report you to judicial affairs
if any of these items are found in your possession throughout the duration of the
- If you need to use tobacco, make sure you do it in private and as we always take our trash with us, pick up after yourself
- Participants must sign a waiver to climb, and if participants are under the age of 18, a parent or legal guardian must sign for them.
- A climbing wall supervisor must be present before anyone can climb
- Anyone belaying must be certified by MTOP staff and must recertify every semester.
- MTOP staff has the right to suspend a belay certification if they see unsafe belay techniques, and the individual will have to take another belay class before being allowed to belay again. Use of personal equipment such as harness and belay device must be approved by MTOP staff.
- Proper climbing procedures must always be followed, and Campus Recreation staff reserve the right to suspend any person for violating safety policies or for any conduct that is viewed unsafe or inappropriate.
- If there is a line to climb, participants are asked to limit climbs to two per person
- MTOP staff will only belay an individual up to four climbs if availability allows, but beyond that, individuals need to bring a belay certified climbing partner to belay.
- While the wall can be a place to hang out for a short period of time, as it is a small space, we ask that participants do not stay for over 30 minutes after climbing so that staff can continue to serve other guests.
- Belay classes are taught weekly during the semester and is highly encouraged for people to go to the class. Please bring someone to climb for you as a part of the belay test.
- Appropriate pants / shorts, shirt and shoes should be worn, have long hair in a ponytail, and remove jewelry before climbing.
- Photos and video are allowed but limit it to people you know and have permission from them to do so.