Letter From the Director
I am often asked "Why construction?"
That is a good question and here at the School of Concrete and Construction Management (SCCM), we have a good answer. In addition to high starting salaries, above average career earnings, and excellent job placement, a construction career offers you so much more:
You can travel or you can be home every night
- You can work in Central Tennessee, or anywhere in the country or even the world
- You can work in the field or in the office
- You can work with your head, your hands, and your heart
- You will work with talented, creative people on amazing projects
Construction is everywhere- everywhere you work, everywhere you learn, everywhere you play, everywhere you travel, everywhere you worship, everywhere you live- construction professionals brought that place to life. If you want to be part of building the world around you, SCCM wants to talk to you:
- Concrete is a $40 billion industry employing over 2 million people in the US. Concrete structures built almost 2000 years ago are still standing, and concrete remains one of the most common building materials in the world. Find out more about opportunities in Production, Sales and Service or in Concrete Contracting within our unique Concrete Industry Management (CIM) program at https://www.mtsu.edu/programs/concrete-industry/index.php. Be sure to check out the CIM True Blue Preview video at the bottom of the page.
- Construction Management is a broad field that prepares students to lead construction projects from conceptual design and feasibility studies to operations and maintenance of facilities. Construction is a $1.2 trillion industry employing over 10 million people, and because it is such a broad industry, we offer specializations in Commercial Construction Management, Electrical Construction Management, and Residential Construction Management. Find out more about opportunities in our Construction Management programs at https://www.mtsu.edu/programs/construction/index.php. Be sure to check out the CIM True Blue Preview video at the bottom of the page.
The Concrete and Construction Management industry is experiencing talent shortages, with 80% of firms reporting difficulty filling all current openings. This is in addition to expected 10% job growth over the next seven years. Our nationally recognized programs in Concrete Industry Management and Construction Management offer a practical approach to education focused on dynamic industry involvement. Our faculty and staff partner with local and national companies to ensure your education aligns with the current state of the practice in the construction industry. Together, we are passionate about construction and committed to your success as a student and your career as a construction professional. Let us share our passion with you,- contact us and ask "Why Construction?"
Kelly Strong, Kelly.email@example.com (615)-898-2419
Director and Professor, School of Concrete and Construction Management