MTSU Counseling Services provides free, short-term services to all currently enrolled students. During the initial appointment, an intake will be completed to determine the student’s needs. Individual therapy sessions typically are 50 minute sessions over a course of a semester, on a weekly basis. Brief counseling is often effective for common issues faced by university students and using this model allows us to serve a greater number of students with our available resources.
Upon completion of the first appointment or during the counseling process, the counselor may determine that it would be beneficial for the client to receive long-term services or more specialized treatment. In this case, the counselor will discuss alternative options and referrals with the client. We are not able to accommodate same day appointments, unless a student is in crisis.
Limits of Service
MTSU Counseling Services does not provide counseling services in the following circumstances:
- Requesting documentation for an emotional support animal
- For problems requiring long-term psychotherapy and long-term medication management
- Psychological evaluation for ADHD or ongoing medication management for ADHD
- To provide testimony or evidence in any legal matters or mandated legal problems
- Any type of psychological evaluations or assessments
- Family, marriage, or couples counseling
- Request for Fitness for Duty
8:00am - 4:30pm
For after-hour emergencies call Mobile Crisis: 800-704-2651. Or go to the nearest emergency room.
8:00am - 4:30pm