What is Exchange?
Microsoft Exchange is a server-based messaging system that provides access to email, integrated calendaring, and numerous collaborative features. The system provides users with contacts on the PC, phone and Web so the MTSU community can stay connected and in sync. In addition, Exchange provides users with multi-layered, anti-spam filtering with continuous updates that safeguard against phishing threats, spam, and other forms of malware. The system also offers greater mobility and flexible access, decreased inbox overload, transformed voice mail (voice mail messages in your inbox with a text preview), increased productivity, and safeguards for sensitive information.
What is Microsoft Outlook?
Microsoft Outlook is an application that provides access to email and other features provided by the Microsoft Exchange servers. Outlook is designed for Exchange and provides users with complete access to all Exchange functions which include integrated calendaring, numerous collaborative features, and voicemail.
What is Outlook Web Access?
Outlook Web Access (OWA) is a Web-based client used to access the email and calendaring features provided by the Microsoft Exchange server. OWA offers a Web interface that resembles the Microsoft Outlook desktop client. The application allows you to access email, voicemail, instant messages, and SMS text messages directly from your inbox using any of the major Web browsers such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari. OWA enables you to share your calendar with colleagues both inside and outside the University and check other users' availability with the presence indicator and choose the best mode of communication (email, instant message, or SMS). OWA also allows you to employ the Conversation View option to view messages in context, making it easier to manage your email more efficiently and reduce inbox overload.
What is my mailbox quota?
Mailbox quotas are generally 1GB for all staff and faculty. This is a larger mailbox that offers greater mobility and flexible access, decreased inbox overload, transformed voice mail (voice mail messages in your inbox with a text preview), increased productivity, and safeguards for sensitive information.
What do I use to access my mail?
ITD supports Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2016 for PCs, MacMail (OSX 10.6+) , Outlook 2011 for Mac and Outlook for Mac. OWA (Outlook Web Access) can be used via most browsers to access your email, integrated calendaring, and collaborative features as well.
Are POP and IMAP available?
No, MAPI, EWS, and SSL are the only supported protocols on Exchange.
What is my email password?
Your password consists of the FSA credentials that you use to log in to your computer.
Do retirees still get to keep their accounts?
Yes, but the migration of local mail, contacts, and calendar items will not be possible.
Are Conference Rooms available for scheduling meetings?
Yes, conference rooms are created upon request. You will need to submit a work order or have the Help Desk submit a work order for this.
What options are available for accessing email off campus?
In addition to smartphone, tablet, and other mobile device access, Outlook Web Access (OWA) is available to access your mail, contacts, and calendar from off campus. The address is: https://mail.mtsu.edu, and you must use your username and FSA password to log in. OWA offers a web interface that resembles the Microsoft Outlook desktop client. The application allows you to access email, voicemail, instant messages, and SMS text messages directly from your inbox using any of the major Web browsers such as Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. OWA also enables you to share your calendar with colleagues inside the University and check other users' availability with the presence indicator and choose the best mode of communication (email, instant message, or SMS). In addition, OWA allows you to employ the Conversation View option to view messages in context, making it easier to manage your email more efficiently and reduce inbox overload.
What size attachments can I send with Exchange email?
20MB is the maximum attachment size.
How will I know another user's email address?
While most email addresses are firstname.lastname, there may be variation in the first name that the user has chosen. Therefore, it is best to consult the global address list to be sure. See our How To section for detailed instructions..
How can I set up my Smartphone with Exchange?
Smartphones with ActiveSync are the only phones we will be able to support.
- Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars
- Add Account under Accounts> Microsoft Exchange
- Enter new email address: Firstname.Lastname@mtsu.edu
- Domain: fsa.mtsu.edu
- Username: FSA username
- Password: FSA password
- Description: Can name it anything you want
- Click Next
- Server: mail.mtsu.edu
- Click Next
- Make sure items you want to sync are set to ON.
- Click Save
- Account is now set up. Click on Exchange Account again and click on Mail Days to Sync. Choose how many days you want to sync to device. Go back and click Done.
- Press Home button and Click on Mail icon. Mail should be there or coming in.
- Click on Email Application (Email, Messaging, Email App such as Touchdown)
- Click Accounts > Menu > Add Exchange Account (or Corporate Sync)
- Type in new email address: email@example.com and Password: Your FSA password
- Check the box "Send email from this account by default" if you want this to be your default email account
- Click Next
- Click Exchange Account
- Enter Domain: fsa.mtsu.edu
- Username: FSA username
- Password: FSA Password (should already be filled in.)
- Exchange Server: mail.mtsu.edu
- Ensure the box for "Use secure connection (SSL)" is checked
- Do not select "Accept all SSL certificates"
- Click Next. Phone will check server settings
- Account options: Click "Notify me when email arrives" and "Sync contacts from this account" to customize account settings
- Click Next
- Give the account a name (optional)
- Enter the name you want displayed in outgoing messages
- Click Done
Note: Global Address List (GAL) is not available in all stock Android email applications. You may need to purchase a 3rd party email app for this functionality