MTMail FAQs for Students
Extensive online guides can be found at the Official Microsoft Outlook Help Center.
What is MTMail?
MTMail is the email system for students of Middle Tennessee State University. It is a partnership between the university and Microsoft, using Microsoft 365.
What is the process to activate my account?
- Go the Password Recovery Tool to set your password.
- Make sure you have registered a personal email in PipelineMT.
- On the "Manage Your Username and Password" page, check the box for MTMail/Pipeline.
- Wait 15 minutes after you have changed your password.
- Log in to MTMail (Microsoft 365).
Do I have to use MTMail?
No. However, all official university email will be sent to your MTMail account. If you choose to use a different email system, you will need to set up forwarding from your MTMail account.
How do I sign in?
Students can sign-in by clicking the email icon in the upper right corner of the mtsu.edu website and then clicking on the MTMAIL icon or go straight to http://www.mtsu.edu/mtmail. You will be redirected to a Microsoft Office 365 Outlook page for sign-in. Enter your full email address: firstname.lastname@example.org and your password. If you do not know the password, please go the Password Recovery Tool to set or change your password.
Make sure you have registered a personal email in PipelineMT!
Why am I redirected to a login site at login.microsoftonline.com?
MTMail is a service provided by Microsoft. If you navigate to mtsu.edu/mtmail in your web browser, it will redirect you to the Office 365 login page -- this is the login page for MTMail.
Who is eligible for MTMail?
All currently enrolled students of Middle Tennessee State University, as well as alumni from Fall 2005 and forward.
Can I keep this account after I leave MTSU?
If you graduate from the university, you may keep your MTMail account. If you leave the University for another reason, your access will be terminated in about a year.
Why does MTSU use Microsoft for email?
The partnership with Microsoft allows us to offer enhanced email services to students, including greatly increased storage capacity, without cost to the university or our students.
What's the benefit to using Microsoft Office 365?
- Significantly increased email storage
- Calendar feature for personal, academic and student involvement use (record appointments, share calendars, schedule meetings)
- Recognition and credibility of the mtmail.mtsu.edu address - particularly valuable in conducting official university business or communicating with professors who may not recognize non-MTSU addresses
- Ability to synchronize contacts and calendars with Mobile phones
- Anti-Spam and virus protection
What does this cost me?
MTMail is a free service to students.
What's the benefit to Microsoft?
Microsoft hopes that the positive experience you have with MTMail will result in your continued use of their services after you graduate.
Where do I go for technical help with MTMail?
If you're having problems signing up, or questions regarding email, that are not resolved within this FAQ contact the Help Desk at 615-898-5345 or email@example.com.
What are the recommended browsers?
Windows 10: Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer 11, Mozilla Firefox, or Google Chrome
Windows 8, 8.1, or 7 (SP1): Internet Explorer 11, Firefox or Chrome
Windows Vista (SP2): Firefox or Chrome, but some features may not be available. We recommend updating to at least Windows 7 (SP1).
Mac OS X (10.10 and later): Apple Safari 10+ or Chrome
Linux:Outlook.com and Outlook on the web work in both Firefox or Chrome on Linux, but some features may not be available.
If you use a Web browser that doesn't support the full feature set, Outlook Web App will open in the light version.
Light Version of Outlook Web App - Accessibility for Blind and Low Vision Users
The light version of Outlook Web App is optimized for accessibility, such as for users who are blind or have low vision. The light version provides fewer features and is faster for some operations. You may want to use the light version if you're on a slow connection or using a computer with unusually strict browser security settings. The light version can be used with almost any browser and has the same features across all browsers.
What are the maximum size/limits of MTMail?
- Message size including attachments - 150 MB
- Single file attachment - 33 MB
- Number of file attachments - 250
- Mailbox size - 100 GB
- Number of recipients (To:, Cc & Bcc) - 100
- Message rate (sending) - 30 per minute
- Total recipients per day - 500
How do I check my MTMail?
On the Web
- Access MTMail on the web at mtsu.edu/mtmail.
- Click the link for MTMail.
- Enter your MTMail email address and password, then click Sign In.
- Username: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Password: your MTMail password that you made up
Using an Email Client
After logging into MTMail on the web at least once to complete the account setup, you can also access MTMail using an email client such as Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, Apple Mail, Entourage, and others. Connections are available using POP and IMAP.
How do I set up MTMail on my phone / mobile device?
Most mobile devices only require your email address and password under the Microsoft Exchange Account Type.
If your phone does not automatically configure your account, visit your Mobile Service Provider's support website and search for help topics involving setting up corporate/work/Exchange/etc. email accounts. Use the following settings when prompted.
Microsoft Exchange (may also be listed as ActiveSync or Corporate Sync)
Your current MTMail password
m.outlook.com OR outlook.office365.com
Incoming Mail Server (POP)
m.outlook.com OR outlook.office365.com
Incoming Mail Server (IMAP)
m.outlook.com OR outlook.office365.com
Mail I want is going to my junk email folder. What can I do?
You have several options to handle legitimate email that you do not want to go into your junk mail folder:
- You can safe-list senders by email address or domain.
- You can create a rule on how to handle emails from a particular domain or email address.
- You can disable the junk email filter. By default, junk email filtering is enabled. If you would like to disable this, please be advised that you won't be able to control unwanted and unsolicited messages. It isn't a good security practice to disable junk email filtering.
What do I do if email seems to not be working?
Check the main MTSU Email website. Scheduled outages will be posted there.
If there is currently no planned outage, please contact the ITD Help Desk at 898-5345 or email@example.com.
Redirecting / Forwarding Emails
All official university communications will be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you want to view your mail in another email service, you have two options. Redirecting and forwarding are not the same. Redirecting is the recommended method if you choose to read your mail in another email provider.
What are the differences between forwarding and redirecting?
- Messages that are redirected will appear to come from the original sender. When you reply to a message that has been redirected, the reply will be sent to the original sender.
- Redirected mail will not include other recipients! This means that if a message is sent to you, and also To or CC other recipients, you won't be able to tell that from the redirected message - those other addresses are not included in the redirected message. You won't be able to hit "Reply All" and reach everyone initially copied (or even see that others were initially copied).
- Messages that are forwarded will appear to be forwarded from you. When you reply to a message that has been forwarded, the reply will be sent to your MTMail address, not to the original sender.
- The original sender and other recipients will be visible in the body of the forwarded message.
Copies of both redirected and forwarded mail remain in MTMail. You can always log in to MTMail to see the full original headers, other recipients, what address it was initially sent to, etc.
How do I redirect my MTMail somewhere else? (Recommended Method)
- Access MTMail using a Supported Browser.
- Near the top-right of the page, click Options.
- Click Organize E-mail from the left-hand menu.
- On the "Inbox Rules" tab, click the New button.
- Under "When the message arrives, and:", select [Apply to all messages].
- Under "Do the following", choose Redirect the message to... or Forward the message to... - see the pros and cons of each outlined above.
- This should automatically open an Address Book window. If it doesn't click the "*Select one" link right next to the "Do the following" pull-down menu.
- At the bottom of the window, next to "To->", type the email address where you'd like your mail redirected. Click OK.
- Click Save
How do I forward messages to another account?
- From your MTMail account, click on “Options” in the upper right corner underneath your name
- Click “See All Options…”
- Click on “My Account”
- On the right side, under “Shortcuts to other things you can do”, click on “Forward your email”
- Under “Forwarding” click in the text box under “Forward my email to” and enter the email address that you want your mail forwarded to.
- If you would like to keep a copy of forwarded messages in your MTMail account (Recommended), keep the check box “Keep a copy of forwarded messages in Outlook Web App” checked. Uncheck if not.
- Click on “Start Forwarding”
- Click on “Save”
Do I have to keep the same email provider throughout my MTSU career?
No. You can change your forwarding at any time. You can change to any other service provider of your choice. Official university email (registration, grades, fee statements, etc.) will be sent to your @mtmail.mtsu.edu account and forwarded automatically to whichever address you have chosen.
Microsoft 365 Apps for Education (formerly Office 365 ProPlus)
What is Microsoft 365 Apps and how do I install it?
Microsoft 365 Apps for Education is the always up-to-date suite of desktop apps you already know (including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, and Teams) available as a subscription. Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise includes real-time collaboration, Teams as the hub for teamwork, and advanced security features. As a user-based license, you can deploy Office on up to five PCs or Macs, five tablets, and five mobile devices. And with 1 TB of OneDrive cloud storage, you can access and collaborate on your files from anywhere.
Visit Microsoft 365 website and click on "Install Office"
If you have issues with installation or you are a current student and do not see the software option, please contact the Help Desk @ 898-5345.
Please note: This is only available to currently-enrolled students. Email accounts for students who do not enroll within a 12 month period are purged from the system, they will no longer have access to this version of Microsoft Office through MTSU.
How many machines/devices can I run this subscription on?
Each subscription license allows you to run Office on up to five machines being Mac or PC. You can also run Office Mobile for Android or Office Mobile for iPhone on up to 5 mobile devices.
Is this a full version Office and available for offline use?
Yes, this is full Office on the PC, Mac, iPhone, and Android platform and all are available for offline use.
What comes with Microsoft Apps for Education?
- and more. Sign in to Microsoft Apps to see all of the apps available
What comes with Office Mobile for iPhone?
- One Drive
- See here for more options.
What comes with Office Mobile for Android?
- One Drive
- See here for more options.
What are the computer and device requirements for Microsoft Apps for Education?
- Requirements can be found here
How long can a student leverage Microsoft Apps for Enterprise?
The guidelines are they can leverage this until they graduate or are no longer attending your school. At that point, we must disable their Microsoft Apps license.
How is this different from Office 2019 Professional Plus?
The Office 2019 applications are exactly the same however there are some differences including patching, license sign in for usage, and Click-to-run (C2R) technology for rapid installs (2 minutes for quick usage).
Can I run a local image of Microsoft Apps to install from and can I customize the install share?
Yes, you can install Microsoft Apps from a local share and still leverage C2R technology for a few minutes installation of Office and with the Office Deployment Tool you can also customize the Office installation. See here for more instructions
Where can I get training on Microsoft Apps?
Training for Office and Microsoft Apps can be found here.
ITD Help Desk
Sun: 2:00pm – 9:00pm
Mon-Thur: 8:00am – 9:00pm
Fri: 8:00am – 4:30pm
Sat: 10:00am – 4:00pm
*Help Desk operates on an adjusted schedule when classes are not in session.
Submit Work Order
The ITD Help Desk is located in KUC 320.
Request Equipment (Faculty / Staff ONLY)