ENGL 4600: Writing Internship
What is ENGL 4600?
English 4600, Writing Internship, provides course credit for serving an organization in a writing capacity. Activities must primarily include writing and writing-related activities such as planning, research, information gathering, social media and other forms of communications, or coorporate writing such as memos, letters, reports, promotional and feature articles. Full details are below, and you may also contact English Internship Director Dr. Bryanna Licciardi with questions or when you're ready to enroll.
Enrollment Requirements and Process
ENGL 4600 Writing Internship is available for students who meet the following criteria:
- English major or minor, writing minor
- Course fulfills a distribution requirement for the major, minor, or elective credit
- Junior or Senior status
- 3.0 GPA or higher
- B or higher in upper division writing course (ENGL 3510, 3620, etc.) May be waived on the basis of a writing sample or professor recommendation.
Internship positions must involve:
- 120 contact hours for 3 course credit hours
- Activities that primarily include writing and writing-related activities such as planning, research, information gathering, social media and other forms of communications, or coorporate writing such as memos, letters, reports, promotional and feature articles.
- Students may enroll in ENGL 4600 up to three times over three semesters with permission from the Internship Director. Determination is based on continued learning opportunities. Reenrollment can also be based on internships for more than one organization.
Obtaining an Internship
Internships can be obtained in two ways:
- The student obtains employment in a position that qualifies for course credit.
- Students contact organizations seeking to hire interns and apply.
Finding an Internship
- English Department Internship List
- College of Liberal Arts Internship List
- Internship Cautions and MTSU Resources
- MTSU Handshake
To enroll in ENGL 4600, students should contact the Internship Director, Dr. Bryanna Licciardi, with the following information:
- Name and MTSU ID#
- Organization, activities, and schedule
- Confirmation from English advisor that course meets major or minor distribution requirements
- Name of and contact information for the workplace supervisor
From this information, the Internship Director will email the workplace supervisor to confirm the student’s activities and schedule, and then provide permission for the student to enroll in ENGL 4600. After completion of the contact hours, the Internship Director will contact the workplace supervisor to confirm satisfactory completion of the internship.
Note: internships do not have to correspond to semester schedules. If an internship extends into a new semester, the student receives an Incomplete in the course until the internship is completed.
Course Requirements and Grade
For course credit, the intern will fulfill work obligations and submit the following to the Internship Director:
- 6 discussion posts reflecting on specified aspects of the writing experience
- A portfolio of at least 5 text-based samples constructed at the internship
- A structured final reflection paper reviewing the experience and portfolio artifacts
Course credit is Pass/Fail. The Fail grade will be assigned if reports and other writing assignments are inadequate, the workplace supervisor provides an unsatisfactory report, or the student fails to complete the internship.
Beyond departmental assistance, you may seek consultation to learn more about internships and what they can do for you and your future with the College of Liberal Arts Internship Advisor, Don Srisuriyo.
How to make an appointment:
Log in to SSC Campus with your PipelineMT credentials. Select "Get Advising" (blue button on right side of screen) → Select "College of Liberal Arts" → Select "Internship Consultation" → Select "College of Liberal Arts" → Select "Don Srisuriyo" → Then make and confirm your appointment time. Be sure to include a description of what you would like to talk about in the comment box.