Case Categories: Freedom of the Press
- Associated Press v. National Labor Relations Board (1937)
In Associated Press v. National Labor Relations Board (1937), the Supreme Court upheld the application of the National Labor Relations Act of 1935 to the...
- Associated Press v. United States (1945)
In 1945 the Supreme Court upheld an injunction against The Associated Press for violating anti-trust laws based on excluding groups from membership. The opinion...
- Barber v. Time (1942)
The Missouri Supreme Court ruled in Barber v. Time (1942) that the balance between an individual’s privacy and press freedom does not depend solely on truth...
- Bartnicki v. Vopper (2001)
In Bartnicki v. Vopper (2001), the Supreme Court found that the First Amendment protects speech that discloses the contents of an illegally intercepted...
- Bridges v. California (1941)
The Supreme Court in Bridges v. California (1941) used First and 14th Amendment guarantees of speech and press freedom to overturn contempt convictions against...
- Craig v. Harney (1947)
On free speech and free press grounds, the Supreme Court overturned contempt of court convictions against three Texas journalists in the 1947 case Craig v....
- Department of Justice v. Reporters Committee For Freedom of the Press (1989)
In DOJ v. Reporters Comm. for Free Press (1989), the Supreme Court rejected a request by a CBS News correspondent and the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the...
- Department of the Air Force v. Rose (1976)
In Department of Air Force v. Rose (1976), the Supreme Court interpreted the Freedom of Information Act to require disclosure of summaries of ethics hearings at...
- Florida Star v. B.J.F. (1989)
In Florida Star v. B.J.F. (1989), the Supreme Court said the First Amendment precluded a newspaper from being held civilly liable under state law for publishing...
- Gitlow v. New York (1925)
In Gitlow v. New York, the Court applied free speech and press protection to the states through the due process clause of the the Fourteenth Amendment...
- Grosjean v. American Press Co. (1936)
In Grosjean v. American Press Co. (1936), the Supreme Court invalidated a law that imposed a tax on the gross receipts of newspapers with larger circulations...
- Hartzel v. United States (1944)
In Hartzel v. United States, the Supreme Court overturned the conviction of an individual for violating the Espionage Act of 1917...
- Landmark Communications, Inc. v. Virginia (1978)
- Lowe v. Securities and Exchange Commission (1985)
- Mabee v. White Plains Publishing Co. (1946)
- Masses Publishing Co. v. Patten (S.D.N.Y) (1917)
- Mills v. Alabama (1966)
- Near v. Minnesota (1931)
- Nebraska Press Association v. Stuart (1976)
- New York Times Co. v. United States (1971)
- Oklahoma Press Publishing Co. v. Walling (1946)
- Organization for a Better Austin v. Keefe (1971)
- Patterson v. Colorado (1907)
- Regan v. Time, Inc. (1984)
- Schaefer v. United States (1920)
- Smith v. Daily Mail Publishing Co. (1979)
- State v. McKee (Conn.) (1900)
- Toledo Newspaper Co. v. United States (1918)
- United States v. The Progressive (W.D. Wis.) (1979)
- Zurcher v. Stanford Daily (1978)