Frequently Asked Questions
- Does the system have regenerative braking?
- How soon will the plug-in hybrid kit be available?
One to two years commercial availability
- How much does the plug-in hybrid kit cost?
For a car or small truck, $3000 to $5000 depending on range and lithium battery costs
- Does the plug-in hybrid kit fit any car or truck?
It will fit most cars and small trucks. It depends on the exact structure of the rear
brake and suspension.
- How big is the battery and controller?
The goal is to have the battery and controller about the size of a carry-on bag for
a commercial air flight.
- Why can’t the system work above 45 miles per hour?
The space available to fit the motor does not permit a motor powerful enough to provide
significant traction assist at highway speeds.
- What is the maximum range for hybrid operation?
The proposed carry-on bag size will give 25-35 miles of range depending on driving
conditions and driving style.
- Does the battery charge using 110v or 220v?
- How long does it take to charge the battery at 110v?
- Can I transfer the plug-in hybrid kit from one car to another?
The battery/controller pack is transferable(75% of system costs). The traction motor
is not transferable unless the new car has the exact same rear wheel structure.
- How long will the battery pack last?
Typical life for commercial lithium ion batteries is 5 years or 100,000 miles
- What realistic fuel savings can I expect in city driving?
If the car is driven in a conservative way, expect an increase in mileage of 50 to
100% over in-town mileage without the plug-in hybrid system ; 20mpg goes to 30 - 40mpg