The Buchanan Fellowship
Deadline December 1, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. Central Standard Time
Application now closed
The Honors College is also home to the Buchanan Fellowship program, named in honor of MTSU's Nobel Prize winning alumnus, Dr. James M. Buchanan. The Buchanan Fellowship, limited to 20 students per year, is the highest award given to an entering freshman at Middle Tennessee State University.
Buchanan Fellows, who must complete a separate application process limited to first-time freshmen, receive a host of special benefits including a full tuition waiver (up to 16 hours) guaranteed for four years (excluding summers), special seminars, priority registration, a book allowance, priority consideration for study abroad, and much more.
To compete for a Buchanan Fellowship, an applicant must
- complete the ONLINE Buchanan Fellows application form (links below) through the MTSU University Honors College by December 1, 11:59 pm Central Standard Time (CST) of the year prior to fall enrollment;
- have a high school GPA greater than or equal to 3.5;
- have a composite ACT greater than or equal to 30 (SAT greater than or equal to 1360);
The preceding requirements are minimal. Successful applicants generally possess qualifications that equal or surpass those required for other MTSU academic scholarships. Students accepted to the program participate in a specially designed cohort curriculum of courses which is limited to Buchanan Fellows.
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY: Special directions for completing your Buchanan application online
Please use Google Chrome to complete your application. You do not have to complete the application in one session, but please save every 30 minutes or so.
Please complete and submit your application several days before the deadline as the Honors College is not responsible for technical issues or other computer issues that may occur.
Four Steps for Buchanan Application
- APPLY TO MTSU
Please apply to MTSU as soon as possible if you have not done so already. Admissions deadline for scholarship purposes is December 1st.
Admission questions can be directed to email@example.com or 615-898-2233.
- CREATE YOUR PIPELINEMT ACCOUNT (See note below for late applicants)
Once you have applied to MTSU, you will receive your M-number by mail which you can use to create your PipelineMT account.
You will need your PipelineMT User Name and Password to access the Buchanan Application Form.
If you have applied to MTSU and have not yet received your M-number by mail then contact Laura.Clippard@mtsu.edu with the following:
- Full Name (First, Middle, Last)
- Date of birth
- Home Address
If your M-number is in the system then we will send it to you. With this M-number, you will then need it to create your PipelineMT account.
To create your account, open PipelineMT in a web browser. You will then need to go to “New User” and click on the “Students” button.
More information on student accounts can be found on the ITD website.
- START YOUR BUCHANAN APPLICATION
Once your Pipeline username and password is set-up, please start your Buchanan Application using the same User ID and password.
- SEND YOUR HIGH SCHOOL TRANSCRIPT
In addition to sending your high school transcripts to the Admissions office, you must send one to the Honors College.
Choose ONE of these options to submit transcripts to the Honors College:
- Upload them directly into your Buchanan application. Look for the link called “High School Transcript.”
- Have them emailed directly to Sandra.Campbell@mtsu.edu either by your guidance counselor or you. It is fine if you scan the transcripts yourself.
- Mail them to the Honors College at: MTSU Honors College, Buchanan Application Committee, Box 267, Murfreesboro, TN 37130.
You have the option to attach a resume if needed to expand on answers given in the application. Please do not upload any recommendation letters as they will not be considered within the selection process.
If you have technical issues with your PipelineMT account, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 615-898-5345.
Read more about the Buchanan Fellows in our Brochure!