To graduate from the University Honors College, students are required to maintain a cumulative GPA equal to or greater than 3.25 and successfully complete a minimum of 29 semester hours including a thesis as outlined below. It is important to understand that the 29 semester hours required for graduation from the Honors College are not necessarily in addition to the 120 hours required for graduation with a bachelor's degree, but rather a part of the 120 hours required for a degree.
- 18 hours lower-division Honors courses (1000- and 2000-level courses)
- three hours upper-division Honors courses (3000- and 4000-level courses)
- three-hour Honors interdisciplinary seminar, UH 3500 or UH 4600 (unless substituted for approved Study Abroad credit, approved internship credit, or UH 4010)
- one-hour Honors Lecture Series, UH 3000
- one hour thesis tutorial, UH 4900 (Physics majors will take PHYS or ASTR 4850 instead)
- three hours Honors independent research, UH 4950 (Physics majors will take PHYS or ASTR 4900 instead)
Additional ways to complete honors requirements
Students can defray a maximum of nine (9) hours of the 18-hour Honors lower-division coursework with the following options. In order to apply these credits towards their honors requirements, the student must meet with his or her Honors College advisor.
- Advanced Placement/College Entrance Examination Board (AP/CEEB) exams with a score of four or five
- Tennessee Governor's School credits with a grade of A (3 hours maximum)
- IB (International Baccalaureate) HL tests that have received the required MTSU score for credit or SL tests with a score one point higher than the required MTSU score for credit
Additionally, students should consult with their Honors advisor regarding these options:
- Honors Contracts (two courses maximum).
- Students may apply a maximum of nine hours from approved study abroad experiences towards either the upper division or lower division requirements in the honors program. An intent to study abroad form must be submitted prior to the start of the program for these credits to be approved.
- Students may apply a maximum of six hours from approved internship credits towards either the upper division or lower division requirements in the honors program. An Internship Substitution form must be submitted prior to the start of the internship for these credits to be approved. All internships must be approved for credit by the student's major department.
- Students may enroll in 1 hour of UH 3001 (Collage), UH 3000 (Lecture Series), or UH 3200 (Visiting Artist Seminar) up to three times.
- UH 3500 or UH 4600 may be taken again if the topic has changed.
- UH 4010 - Institute of Leadership Excellence can be used towards the Interdisciplinary Seminar requirement or to complete the lower or upper division honors requirements.