This plan allows eligible employees to pay for certain expenses from their salary before taxes are deducted. Deductions for other eligible benefits under this plan are not automatic. You must enroll each year to participate in either the Medical Expense Flexible Spending Account (FSA), the Limited Flexible Spending Account (LFSA), or the Dependent Care FSA.
Health Savings Account
If you enroll in the HealthSavings CDHP, a health savings account (HSA) will be set up for you. You can contribute pre-tax money to your HSA through payroll deduction to cover your qualified medical expenses, including your deductible.
Benefits of a HSA
- The money you save in the HSA (both yours and any employer contributions) rolls over each year and collects interest. You don't lose it at the end of the year.
- You can use money in your account to pay your deductible and qualified medical, behavioral health, vision and dental expenses.
- The money is yours! You take your HSA with you if you leave or retire.
- The HSA offers a triple tax advantage on money in your account; Both employer and employee contributions are tax free.
- Withdrawals for qualified medical expenses are tax free.
- Interest accrued on HSA balance is tax free.
The HSA can be used to pay for qualified medical expenses that may not be covered by your health insurance plan (like vision and dental expenses, hearing aids, contact lens supplies, acupuncture and more) with a great tax advantage.
For on-line access to the MTSU Flexible Benefits plan, go to Optum Bank.
- Health Savings Account (HSA) - (Applies only to employees who are enrolling in the CDHP health plan.)
- 2021 HSA Enrollment/Change Form (Only used if enrolled in a CDHP Health Plan)
- 2022 HSA Enrollment/Change Form (Only used if enrolled in a CDHP Health Plan)
- How to enroll in Flexible Benefits for 2022
- Limited Purpose FSA Guide - (Applies only to employees who are enrolling in the CDHP health plan.)
Creating your Flex Benefits On-line Access
Once your plan year begins, you can register your account online.
Human Resource Services
Middle Tennessee State University
2269 Middle Tennessee Boulevard
204 Sam H. Ingram Building
Murfreesboro, TN 37132-0001