Need help with technology in your new dorm room? You are at the right place! The instructions listed below will help get you connected in no time!
How do I connect my TV to the campus Cable TV network?
- Locate the TV outlet in your room and connect the coax cable to it. Connect the other end to the CATV or VHF IN connector on your TV
- Turn on the TV and select "menu" or "setup" (different TVs use different terms)
- Then select "scan", "channel scan", "auto scan", or "auto program"
- Next, select "OK" and wait while your digital TV or converter box searches for all the channels available to you.
- Once complete, you should be able to select the channels you want with either the TV, or with the converter box if you are using one.
- Remember, if you are using a converter box, you will have to use the remote for the converter box to change channels.
- Please note: The campus cable TV system works with televisions that use QAM tuners. While this is an industry standard, there are some inexpensive televisions that do not use this technology. If you do a channel scan and your TV does not pick up any channels, then your TV does not have a QAM tuner. In this case, you must use a converter to access channels (much like Comcast or DirecTV). You may purchase one from Amazon here: http://amzn.to/1JBcFNe
- For more details, click here.
How do I connect my computer to the campus wifi network?
- Open your wireless network setup and select "WLANMTSU".
- Open a web browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari) and you will be redirected to the MTSU Network Registration Page. If your browser doesn't automatically go to this page, go to MTSU.edu and that should force the browser to go there.
- Enter your PipelineMT username and password to register your device for complete access.
- For Windows users, this will require the downloading and installation of the Extreme NAC Agent, a small piece of software that helps ensure the computer meets acceptable security configurations. There will be a download link on the web page. Click that link and download the agent.
- Install the agent when it completes downloading.
- Next, click the link to try again. The agent will scan your system and tell you if any updates are required.
- After installing the required updates, click the link to try again. You should now see the message that your system has passed acceptance, and to click on the link to continue.
- You are now on the MTSU wifi network!
- For more details, you can go here.
How do I connect my telephone in my dorm room?
- All resident hall rooms or suites have an active phone line.
- To use the service you will need an analog phone and a line cord.
- If you do not have a phone, ask your dorm supervisor and one can be provided.
- In Scarlett Commons, only the main common room has an active phone line, not each bedroom.
- To connect to the service, plug the line cord into the wall phone jack and to the phone.
- Within a few seconds you should hear dial tone on the phone.
- If you don’t know your phone number, check with the front desk.
- Voice mail service is not available.
- To make calls, dial 4 digits to reach a campus extension, or 9 then the 10 digit local number.
- You can dial toll-free numbers by dialing 9, 1, and the 10 digit toll-free number.
- Outgoing long distance calls cannot be made.
- In case of an emergency, dial 911.
- For more detailed information, visit the ITD Telecommunications page.
How do I get into my school email account?
Log in at www.mtsu.edu/mtmail
Enter your full email address that you were given. ie. Zzz1z@mtmail.mtsu.edu
Enter your password
(If this is your first time logging in, please go to the Password Recovery Tool to change your password – Make sure you have registered a personal email in PipelineMT)
How do I download Microsoft Office for free?
- Go to Office.com/GetOffice365
- Click the “Find out if you’re eligible” link
- Put in your school provided email address
- Follow the prompts to login to Office 365
- Download Office and sign-in with your school ID
How do I connect my game console to the campus network?
Your game console can be used on the wired or wireless (RESNETMT) network. You do not have to register your console on the network. Third party adapters are not recommended and will require additional steps to connect.
- To connect to the wired network, plug your console into the network jack – open a browser or try to connect online with your console.
- To connect to the wireless network, connect to the SSID RESNETMT then open a browser or try to connect online with your console.
- If your console does not connect to the Internet after several minutes record your wired or wireless MAC address and call the Help Desk at 615-898-5345