School of Journalism & Strategic Media
Inform. Entertain. Design. Engage.
MTSU’s internationally recognized and accredited School of Journalism and Strategic Media equips students with the professional knowledge necessary for success in the work environments of today and tomorrow.
Our education model balances professional skills with a broader understanding of history, ethics, and social impacts. Through our core classes, all students gain a solid foundation in digital skills, professional writing, and critical thinking, learning how to use video, photography, audio, and social media to tell stories, build audiences, and design portfolios that get noticed. Moreover, our professional development classes and internship/practicum requirements prepare students for a host of established and emerging careers in and outside of media fields.
Leaders in Understanding Media
Faculty draw from extensive professional experience and internationally-recognized research to teach the latest skills and concepts in award-winning, innovative ways. The MTSU Social Media Insights Lab provides real-time information about what’s happening on social media. With industry-leading technology, the SMIL serves as the place for social media management, social media listening, influencer engagement, and more.
See and Hear What Our Students Say
The School of Journalism and Strategic Media is a part of the College of Media and Entertainment, and includes the Center for Innovation in Media, bringing together the University’s two campus radio stations, WMOT and WMTS, and the school newspaper, Sidelines, along with TV broadcasting facilities. The Center enhances the School curriculum with further opportunities to acquire and use digital media skills.
What Can You Study?
There are nine concentrations within the school, each with its own core faculty:
- Journalism: Print & broadcast, plus new concentrations in Entertainment Journalism, Social Justice Journalism, & Environmental Journalism & Communication
- Public Relations
- Visual Communication
- Sports Media
- Media Studies
These concentrations provide practical skills and experience through classes, laboratory courses, fieldwork and internships, while acquainting students with the history, theory, ethics, social responsibility and law of media communication.
The College of Media and Entertainment offers a graduate program leading to a Master of Science degree in Media and Communication.
Students may minor in the School of Journalism and Strategic Media. Options include Journalism, Public Relations, Advertising and Visual Communication.
The mission of the School of Journalism and Strategic Media is to:
- Provide an undergraduate education combining contemporary media instruction with hands-on professional experience.
- Educate students about the role and responsibilities of a free press and media in a democratic and diverse society.
- Prepare students for careers in journalism, communication, and strategic media in an ever-evolving media environment.
- Contribute to the body of knowledge in journalism, communication, and strategic media through research, scholarship, creative, and professional activity.
- Create an inclusive environment that celebrates diversity in its curriculum, organizations, and community engagement through its students, faculty, staff, and alumni.