Health Care Informatics M.S. in Professional Science
The Health Care Informatics master’s program at MTSU, a concentration in Professional Science, emphasizes the skills and experience that will prepare the next generation of professionals to be competitive in the business and healthcare information technology workforce. This program is welcoming to traditional students and working professionals. Designed around concentration courses in information systems applications and security, project management, business intelligence/analytics, and healthcare law, this concentration helps equip students to work in public and private business enterprises and academia.
Professional Internship takes place of thesis
Popular profession in the Middle Tennessee job market
36 credit hours total, including business management courses and a capstone internship
Skills developed in data management, technology, security, and process implementation
As a Master of Science in Professional Science (MSPS) degree, the Health Care Informatics M.S. combines leading-edge, advanced science classes with graduate-level business management courses designed to enhance career success. Instead of a thesis, students complete a complex, capstone internship. Over 70% of our MSPS students receive job offers from their internship.
Students must be accepted in to the Master of Science in Professional Science program. Candidates must complete 36 hours in the following course of study:
Required Business Core Courses – all MSPS students (15 hours)
- ACTG 6100 - Accounting and Legal Issues for Managers 3 credit hours
- BCED 6820 - Managerial Communication 3 credit hours
- BCED 6910 - Internship Program 3 credit hours
- MGMT 6740 - Leadership and Motivation 3 credit hours
- STAT 5140 - Probabilistic and Statistical Reasoning 3 credit hours
Concentration Courses (21 hours)
- BLAW 6500 - Legal Aspects of Healthcare 3 credit hours
- ET 6300 - PMI Project Management 3 credit hours
- MBAI 6835 - IT Applications for Decision Making 2 credit hours
- MBAI 6905 - Applied Business Analytics 3 credit hours
- INFS 6300 - IS Security: Management and Assurance 3 credit hours
- HCI 6420 - Topics in Contemporary Health Care (Fall Only) 1 credit hour
Two elective courses from:
- BIA 6910 - Business Intelligence 3 credit hours
- ET 6190 - Six Sigma 3 credit hours
- ET 6010 - Safety Planning 3 credit hours
- ET 6390 - Productivity Strategies/Lean Systems 3 credit hours
- ET 6870 - Engineering Management Systems 3 credit hours
- HLTH 6510 - The Nation's Health 3 credit hours
*BCED 6910 may only be taken in the second-to-last or final semester of study, after the student has completed at least 21 hours of coursework and BCED 6820.
For more information, please visit the catalog page for the Health Care Informatics M.S.