MAY 29: Update from President McPhee on COVID-19 Strategic Task Force Report
To the University community,
I am pleased to share with you the report of the COVID-19 Strategic Task Force chaired by Provost Byrnes. As you know, I charged the Task Force to provide recommendations to me for our return to on-campus operations. Please find for your review the full report: www.mtsu.edu/covidtaskforce.
In summary, some of the key recommendations include:
- Campus will be open this Fall, but with social distancing measures in effect;
- A variety of class formats will be used: on-ground, online and hybrid;
- Our goal will be to reduce the density of people in classrooms;
- “Hands on” courses will get priority for on-ground spaces;
- Although the start and end dates of the semester will remain the same, fall break will be cancelled and on-campus class meetings will end before Thanksgiving; all exams will be held online;
- We will follow health guidelines in running events;
- Enhanced cleaning and disinfecting standards will be implemented;
- We will provide appropriate PPE to employees;
- We will allow remote working arrangements and alternate work schedules, as appropriate, practical and approved by supervisors.
I am scheduling two Virtual Town Hall sessions to hear your thoughts and feedback. Instructions on how to access these sessions will be provided early next week.
10 a.m. Wednesday, June 3
1 p.m. Thursday, June 4
I deeply appreciate the hard work and dedication of Provost Byrnes and the task force members in preparing these recommendations for my review.
I hope that you and your family remain safe and have a great weekend.
Sidney A. McPhee